Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Pics
That is awesome! How old is your peacock? And you will have to remind me what type of turkeys you have. I forgot and I'm to lazy to go back through the posts lol. My 6 royal palm poults are 2 weeks old and 4 aready fight like my year old toms do. I am really hoping that I just have a bunch of spunky hens lol if 4 are toms that puts me at 7 boys and 2 girls :/ can't put them in the freezermy 6 year old says she doesn't eat yard chickens or turkeys. Lol

Hahaha.
The peacock is HUGE but probably only a few weeks old. It was in a cage with a few buff or tan colored peachicks and was the only "normal" one otherwise I probably would'be tried to find a girl :)

My original turkey is a Bronze. I'm thinking heritage. It's so hard to know when you get a chick at a feed store though. But she has been very persistent at being broody so I have a feeling that's a heritage trait.
My new poult was in a cage at the store that was labeled assorted straight run but it looks like a Bourbon Red female :)
It was with a couple of Bronze and possible buff colored ones so like the peachick, I didn't have much to choose over. :)

Your daughter is too funny! I love when young kids have strong beliefs :)

I've been watching this post to see how you made out.
If after all this time some showed back up. I still hope the other one does too!
And babies one the way! that's awesome! I love baby guineas.

It seems like peafowl will grow really quickly at first then they slow down. Mine are just over a year ( besides the new chicks this year all my birds are around a year old I went nuts last year started buying babies some days apart some weeks and some all at once) and I swear color wise they look diffrent every day. But they don't look much bigger. My poults however seem like they grow 2 inches a night lol congrats on your new additions. Lol they are so fun. And I to love the peacock noises. One of mine started making a noise the other day I had never heard them make before it sounded like help me. And they do one that sounds like mew lol and of course the honk. Cracks me up every time. I still think my missing guinea may be sitting. During the day I will have 2 missing so I'm thinking its her mate going off to guard her. Who knows?

Guess who showed back up out of nowhere? My 2nd guinea. She come in alone so I'm still missing 1 but I'm still not sure which 1. I was thinking it was a male but I'm not positive now :( also I ticked lil grumpy brooding guinea off tonight and she come after me. So I got a sneek peek at the nest and no babies yet :( I was so sure they would be hatching by now.

one of my guineas got out of the grow out pen this morning when I fed them. I reached in for the waterer and there was an explosion of guineas in all directions, and one got out of the top. Sheesh was it ever hard to catch too! It finally climbed into one of the drawers on my sewing table, and I was able to nab it. NOT tame. I've got to get them out, they're six weeks old now, but we've hit a hangup with their outdoor living arrangements that has to be solved before they can get out there, and of course all the building has been held up by the torrential rain.

one of my guineas got out of the grow out pen this morning when I fed them. I reached in for the waterer and there was an explosion of guineas in all directions, and one got out of the top. Sheesh was it ever hard to catch too! It finally climbed into one of the drawers on my sewing table, and I was able to nab it. NOT tame. I've got to get them out, they're six weeks old now, but we've hit a hangup with their outdoor living arrangements that has to be solved before they can get out there, and of course all the building has been held up by the torrential rain.
Sitting here just laughing :) I can picture the chase!
Last year's guineas were hatched kinda late in the year. So being paranoid, when we had a cold snap, I would bring them in at night. One morning I woke to calling guineas. 3 had escaped from the cage (the others hadn't so they were yelling) and 2 were perched on my kitchen sink, wanting out the window I assume. I guess they had been out for a while, because it wasn't a pretty sight. I slowly one by one put them outside and then went back in to figure out exactly where to start the clean up!! The cage was more secure the next night.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom