Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by houndit, Mar 21, 2010.

1. starlingdaly

starlingdaly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC

It was my keets from my friend's eggs. They hatched with bright orange beaks and legs but these hatchery keets had dull orange beaks and legs.

I have my two keets in with my baby chickens as I thought the best way for them to get used to me is if they were in my kitchen in the brooder and could see how the chicks react towards me.
    So far the lavender is STILL a skittish little thing but is getting better and doesn't run away nearly as fast when I decide the bedding on her head needs inspecting lol
    The pearl grey is really nice right now and will come to me with the chicks when I open the brooder and will let me hold him and won't try to get away for a minute or two which is good even for a chicken!

2. itsjustme

itsjustme Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Indiana
    I was reading in another thread a woman who has tamed guineas and uses them as therapy birds. She even has pics. I am wanting some keets but have to get some other babies raised first. If I get any more I'm definitely working harder at getting them tamed down now that I no its possible.

3. starlingdaly

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    Oh wow, that is so cool!!
    Good luck with that venture! When you succeed you can show all the people who thought it was impossible your tame guinea! Maybe even have one house trained. ;)

4. itsjustme

Apr 5, 2013
    Indiana
    I am skeptical but I watched her videos and seen her pics so? Id be willing to try. It will either work or it wont right? Lol as far as having a house trained guinea idk if I can pull that off lol but I could put a diaper on one and just see what happens? Can't be worse than when my dog chased my 3 full grown tom turkeys into the house. 1 was so scared he flew onto the stove and was standing in a frying pan. Luckily it wasn't hot. Lol

5. starlingdaly

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC

Ahaha! Great story! ;)
    I think some birds adjust to indoor life better than others. I was hoping my silkie would be sweet enough to live indoors but she is MOODY allllllll the time so I gave up on that idea quickly.
    But my buff orpington pullet wants to be around me all the time. At night she tries to sleep on the porch sometimes which scared me the first time I couldn't find her!
    So if it doesn't work with the first guinea, try again with a different one. :)

P.S. I would think using a guinea for a therapy bird would be counterproductive. Those faces...

6. Sandshaven

Sandshaven Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2013
    Mercer, PA
    My Coop
    Actually if you want trained guineas you need to train the entire flock or your tame one will revert back to wild when instincts kick in at maturity.
    Yes, I am the crazy woman that has tame guinea therapy flocks... Nice to meet you. :)
    And I like their faces... I think they are cute prehistoric dinosaur birds.. lol

1 person likes this.
  7. starlingdaly

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC

Good to know!!
    Hehehe, they are cute, I was just joking around. ;)
    But like most things, they are cuter when they are babies. :D

And nice to meet you too! :)

8. itsjustme

Apr 5, 2013
    Indiana
    I think they are funny looking. But that's part of the reason I got them. I love different. But I wish I would have known you can tame them the way you have I would have tried harder with mine. To many people told me it was not possible.
    also broody guinea is still at it. My plan was to take the babies if she had any and brood them. She's obviously not going to have any success with this nest but will not get off it. My idea was to build an enclosure around her buy a few keats and stick them under her and let her raise them if she doesn't accept them I will just take them let her back out with the others. If she does she can stay with them in the small pen until they are a little older. What do u guys think?

9. starlingdaly

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC

Sounds like a good plan! I say go for it! :)
    Keep her around for future incubation! Band her or something so you can remember which one is so reliable. :)

10. Sandshaven

Sandshaven Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2013
    Mercer, PA
    My Coop
    I don't think I would try risking keets that was not hers. Guineas are not the best mothers even with their own babies. I would be afraid she would kill them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by