Raising guineas in west Kentucky

Guineawhisperer820

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2020
I have been raising guinea fowl in west Kentucky for about 3-4 years. I train them to go in a coop at dusk with treats. However my first flock got out of the routine while I was out of town and the house sitter didn’t follow instructions. They all ( about 15) disappeared within 2 weeks when the decided they would rather continue roosting on the rail fence. Coyotes and maybe foxes were the culprit. My second flock bought Summer 2019 were moved closer to my house and trained to coop again. Problem this time was hens sitting on nest and being found by predators before I found them. I got down to about 6 or 7 from 15 again. However this time I was able to harvest, incubate and hatch 4 batches of eggs to 30 something guineas. My reason for joining and posting: all I read about the exact temperature and humidity to hatch most not apply to nature. When I thought all the laying was over a hen made a nest in the pen with the coop. It was late September and over the weeks temps got in the mid 30s. I had just told my wife I need to get rid of the eggs because too cold to hatch (the hen took breaks as usual). To my surprise almost 2 weeks ago while in my yard I saw keet in the pen. So I put a heat light in the pen and she hatched another 6 all doing fine almost 2 weeks out. Just wondering if anyone had similar experiences?

Attachments

• E1047B60-D152-402C-BFDE-F6E96E0E4DEE.png
    E1047B60-D152-402C-BFDE-F6E96E0E4DEE.png
    3 MB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom