Raising Half Dead Chicks from TSC

Pics

ChickForLife

Walking my Chicken
Apr 22, 2020
🌲Connecticut🌲
So today around 5:30 PM EST I got some bantam chicks from TSC. I went there looking for ducks, but they were out :barnie, so I looked in the chick brooders. They all looked fine except for the Rhode Island Blue and bantam mix brooder, which I have no idea why they are in the same brooder. Well, half of the bantam chicks were wet because the new TSC waterers have huge gaps in between the bars which are a perfect fit for a bantam to slip through. Well now I am rambling, so two of the chicks in there were soaked head to toe. A bunch of the Rhode Island Blue's were "eating", dragging, and stepping on them. They were pretty much already dead but I told one of the staff the situation and offered to take home the two bad ones. He said he would take care of the rest. He gave them to me for free and I started to try and revive them. We went back to the car and turned the temperature to 90 degrees and gave them each a few drops of Nutri Drench by itself even though you are supposed to add it to water. By the time I we got home the chicks could stand and walk. I set up the brooder and put some more Nutri Drench in their water and gave them mush feed. They drank a lot of water than rested for awhile. Now it has been like 6 hours and their chest feathers and wings are fluffing up.

My problem starts here if you want to skip the story...

They won't eat and one of the two seem lethargic. The only way they will eat is if I force feed them. I have given them much and crumbles but nothing. Now on to the lethargic bantam. S/he kinda just sits there moving not too often unless I pick her/him up or scare her/him. Oh and I also gave them sugar water which they loved. They both chirp loudly but I can't tell what it is because they don't move much so I can't tell if it is heat and I have tried both hot and cold temperatures. I have no idea but I hope someone can help!

Pics below.

chicks2021.jpg

Ultimately what mattered most was your act of kindness. Those poor babies were likely beyond saving, but you did the best you could and showed them love in their short lives. It may not feel like it, but that matters. You just reminded me of "Feed the Birds" from Mary Poppins, specifically:

Although you can't see them, you know they are smiling, each time someone shows that he cares.

I also don't know the breeds so that would be helpful if someone could tell. So far I am thinking bantam CCLB and bantam gold laced wyandotte but I have not idea. I can post more pics of them now with them more fluffed up if that would help.
What makes you think CLB? Chipmunk stripes? If so I’d think OEGB is much more likely. Pics of fluffed up would be helpful.

So today around 5:30 PM EST I got some bantam chicks from TSC. I went there looking for ducks, but they were out :barnie, so I looked in the chick brooders. They all looked fine except for the Rhode Island Blue and bantam mix brooder, which I have no idea why they are in the same brooder. Well, half of the bantam chicks were wet because the new TSC waterers have huge gaps in between the bars which are a perfect fit for a bantam to slip through. Well now I am rambling, so two of the chicks in there were soaked head to toe. A bunch of the Rhode Island Blue's were "eating", dragging, and stepping on them. They were pretty much already dead but I told one of the staff the situation and offered to take home the two bad ones. He said he would take care of the rest. He gave them to me for free and I started to try and revive them. We went back to the car and turned the temperature to 90 degrees and gave them each a few drops of Nutri Drench by itself even though you are supposed to add it to water. By the time I we got home the chicks could stand and walk. I set up the brooder and put some more Nutri Drench in their water and gave them mush feed. They drank a lot of water than rested for awhile. Now it has been like 6 hours and their chest feathers and wings are fluffing up.

My problem starts here if you want to skip the story...

They won't eat and one of the two seem lethargic. The only way they will eat is if I force feed them. I have given them much and crumbles but nothing. Now on to the lethargic bantam. S/he kinda just sits there moving not too often unless I pick her/him up or scare her/him. Oh and I also gave them sugar water which they loved. They both chirp loudly but I can't tell what it is because they don't move much so I can't tell if it is heat and I have tried both hot and cold temperatures. I have no idea but I hope someone can help!

Pics below.

View attachment 2619054
Really nice of you to do, and I wish them the best. But the more I learn, the more convinced I am that if you have ANY alternate to getting your chicks at TSC, you should. I'm glad I have several!

Back
Top Bottom