Raising Half Dead Chicks from TSC

Pics
You washed the chick and towel dried it? Chicks should never be wet. I was gonna suggest to have them lay on a covered heating pad to raise there body temp but guess it's to late. Sorry for your loss. Learn what you can from it, so you know if something like this comes around.
Yes, he was damp still not totally dry and I was going to blow dry him but I was too late. Thank you!

The manager of my TSC was VERY frustrated with his first shipment of chicks, as there were a lot of them that was very sick. He will keep back (in back room) the next shipment to weed out the healthy ones. I understand that the set up was the problem at your store. I live in rural area so employees are more experienced in animal husbandry thank goodness. I would have pbly tried to save them too. Good for you

Awww, I'm so sorry CFL. You did an awesome job trying to save them, but they looked very weak. There's not much more that you could have done. To fluff them up, I would have gotten a soft toothbrush, soaked the bristles in warm water, and then gently scrubbed the chick off. Afterwards, it can be towel dried. You can even dry it with a dry soft toothbrush too. Toothbrushes are wonderful for fluffing chicks up.
I agree with Emma about them both being OEGBs too, TSC almost always has those in. They're pretty common, much more common than the other types mentioned.
I'm sorry you lost them. Rest in peace little babies. I'm sure that they knew you cared about them. They died much more peacefully than they would have in the brooder with the others.

Awww, I'm so sorry CFL. You did an awesome job trying to save them, but they looked very weak. There's not much more that you could have done. To fluff them up, I would have gotten a soft toothbrush, soaked the bristles in warm water, and then gently scrubbed the chick off. Afterwards, it can be towel dried. You can even dry it with a dry soft toothbrush too. Toothbrushes are wonderful for fluffing chicks up.
I agree with Emma about them both being OEGBs too, TSC almost always has those in. They're pretty common, much more common than the other types mentioned.
I'm sorry you lost them. Rest in peace little babies. I'm sure that they knew you cared about them. They died much more peacefully than they would have in the brooder with the others.
Thank you so much! That is a really good idea! :hugs

yeah i know maybe he is bored, i think more chicks would help him but you never know
Day olds sleep alot for the first week..may sound silly i had to taise an injured baby away from flock. I gave him a beanie baby to give him something to snuggle up to.. Feed him every few hours by hand. Have a little box with beanie and a soft blanket for warmth and he survived. I was able to reintroduce to flock in like 8 werks..he prefered dogs and humans at that point.. This is heartbreaking..shame on ts for this..

I have made progress! One chick started to eat on its own! :wee :ya
I’m dealing with the same issue from a TSC chicken I got yesterday. I’m “feeding” her water and trying to give her some egg yolk from a syringe. She is extremely lethargic and no progress is seeming to be being made. Is there anything I can do to help? She’s not really eating or drinking. (Black Sex Link pullet)

I’m dealing with the same issue from a TSC chicken I got yesterday. I’m “feeding” her water and trying to give her some egg yolk from a syringe. She is extremely lethargic and no progress is seeming to be being made. Is there anything I can do to help? She’s not really eating or drinking. (Black Sex Link pullet)
Is she wet? What is the temperature in the brooder? Try putting some electrolytes in her water and feed her wet starter. Try force-feeding her the wet feed.

Back
Top Bottom