Raising mandarin ducklings

Jjnola

In the Brooder
May 16, 2023
Hi. I just received 4 mandarin ducklings. They are currently inside in a brooder under a heat lamp. They’re about 3 weeks old and it smells. I live in south Louisiana and it’s hot. Would it be ok to just move them outside into their enclosure? The lows currently are in mid 70’s but it’s mostly in the high 80’s. I would also put the heat lamp in their enclosure in case they want to use it to warm up. Their enclosure is a section of my garden with a pond I enclosed. It’s about 6’x20’. I was thinking they’re small and wouldn’t be as messy or smelly as a normal duck. Can I expect my garden to smell like the brooder does now? I clean it twice a day and the smell is awful.

Hi. I just received 4 mandarin ducklings. They are currently inside in a brooder under a heat lamp. They’re about 3 weeks old and it smells. I live in south Louisiana and it’s hot. Would it be ok to just move them outside into their enclosure? The lows currently are in mid 70’s but it’s mostly in the high 80’s. I would also put the heat lamp in their enclosure in case they want to use it to warm up. Their enclosure is a section of my garden with a pond I enclosed. It’s about 6’x20’. I was thinking they’re small and wouldn’t be as messy or smelly as a normal duck. Can I expect my garden to smell like the brooder does now? I clean it twice a day and the smell is awful.
They should be fine to go out, but make sure they don't have access to bathing water unattended. They can get soaked.

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

I think that it’s fine to move the ducklings outside at this age. With the temperature not being too low plus a heat lamp out there too, they should be just fine.

I’d love to follow along with your whole journey! Mandarin ducks are absolutely beautiful, so I’d love to watch them as they grow! Keep us updated!

What are you feeding them?

What are you feeding them?
The guy I got them from gave me some chick starter. I have Mazuri starter for waterfowl on the way. I was thinking it was the food that’s making it smell so bad.

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

I think that it’s fine to move the ducklings outside at this age. With the temperature not being too low plus a heat lamp out there too, they should be just fine.

I’d love to follow along with your whole journey! Mandarin ducks are absolutely beautiful, so I’d love to watch them as they grow! Keep us updated!
I’ll post pics soon. Right now I’m just trying not to disturb them besides when I clean their brooder out.

their enclosure is going to be a part of the garden. It’s not something I can hose out. Is this going to be a problem? I’ve raised ducks before and I know they’re messy. I figured mandarins are small and their waste wouldn’t be a problem in the garden, maybe beneficial as fertilizer.

Last edited:
They should be fine to go out, but make sure they don't have access to bathing water unattended. They can get soaked.
Thanks. I look forward to them being out of the house asap

Back
Top Bottom