Raising Meat Rabbits

Pics
I live in eastern PA and had new Zealand, Californian, and champagne d'argent all outside in an unheated shed with the door open all winter. Other than water freezing, no issues. Even had a litter in the beginning of March.

New Zealand and crosses thereof are pretty standard meat rabbits.
Hi chiques!!
Thanks so much for the reply! So I could cross or 3-way cross
of any of these three breeds amd I would be ok for meat? What
do you think of a hutch design like this for the rabbits in a PA winter,
even if it was like this last one?
Four Hole Rabbit Hutch - http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/4361792257.html
If a 3-way cross which breed would you suggest for the
last cross?
Thanks!
Karen in Ligonier, PA

Last edited:
Hi chiques!!
Thanks so much for the reply! So I could cross or 3-way cross
of any of these three breeds amd I would be ok for meat? What
do you think of a hutch design like this for the rabbits in a PA winter,
even if it was like this last one?
Four Hole Rabbit Hutch - http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/4361792257.html
If a 3-way cross which breed would you suggest for the
last cross?
Thanks!
Karen in Ligonier, PA

That rabbit hutch is very similar to the one that the lady had where I got my Californian rabbits, hers was 2 sided. We are in Central PA. She had her rabbits out all year long. She did say in the winter when it got really cold or windy she put a tarp up over the side that the wind was blowing from. I'm just starting out but I have 1 New Zealand Buck and 3 Californian does. No meat yet, hopefully soon!

Like anything else, what works for you and your needs. I am just starting, so went with what was v available. I also considered future stock, so got different lines so I can have several generations of breeders without much inbreeding.
I started with mostly purebred stock

I keep records on each rabbit from birth to butcher. I can not say that I have cross breed the rabbits but I do not see a problem with it. I also offer rabbits for sale to pay the food bill. I have a lot of Does and only a few bucks for breeding. I am in Florida so it is a bit warmer here but once in awhile I do have a freeze where I have to take special care of the kits that are less than 7 days old. As long as the rabbits are healthy I do not see a problem with eating them no matter there heritage.

I keep records on each rabbit from birth to butcher. I can not say that I have cross breed the rabbits but I do not see a problem with it. I also offer rabbits for sale to pay the food bill. I have a lot of Does and only a few bucks for breeding. I am in Florida so it is a bit warmer here but once in awhile I do have a freeze where I have to take special care of the kits that are less than 7 days old. As long as the rabbits are healthy I do not see a problem with eating them no matter there heritage.

At what age do you breed the rabbits?

There are several good books out there that tell you step by step how to process rabbits. That being said, I am going through rabbit withdrawal, and so need a fix! A few years ago a neighbors dogs decimated my animals, killing everything. I have since moved, and am now ready to try again. I have raised several rabbits, so you may feel free to ask me anything. If I don't know, I'll find out!

I'm building my rabbit hutch then get some rabbits to breed. Last time I did this I was little so I can't remember how old they had to be to breed. I would like to buy my doe and bucks as close to breeding age as possible.

I am so happy. I just bought a Red New Zealand Doe. She is 10 months old and pregnant. She will be a first time mom and the breeder recommended that I set up a place in the barn on the floor for her since the Reds don't always make very good first time moms and will have the babies on the wire. Having them in the barn helps since the babies will be warm no matter where she has them.

Back
Top Bottom