Raising Muscovies for meat to sell.

Good article, however I would need to get more than $8 bucks a duck. Not a bad price for live ducks though, I think that's about the going price here for a large breed duck / drake.

I'm interested in it, but processing is completely not appealing!

Quote:
Steve skins, and I pluck and wax.

I followed his recipe for duck sausage and it turned out pretty good. I did change it a bit by adding bacon ends. It was a good way to utilize some of the lesser cuts of meat.

Have you tried sauted pekin duck breast? This simple recipe is fantastic. Chinese five spice powder can be used too. Works well for muscovy, also.

From Maple Leaf Farms:

• Sauteing a duck breast:
1. Thaw duck breasts and remove from package. Pat duck breast dry with paper towels.
2. Trim skin to the shape of the meet.
3. Score skin into 1/4 inch intervals. (Do not cut into breast meat). Rotate breast and score again, making a criss-cross pattern. Season with salt/pepper or preferred seasoning/marinades.
4. Preheat griddle to 325 degrees F or Teflon pan to low-medium low.
5. Place breast skin-side down for approximately 8-12 minutes or until fat is rendered and skin is crisp and brown. Low and slow is the way to go.
6. Turn breast over and cook 1-2 minutes. (Duck breast can be refrigerated at this point, then finished at a later time.) Place duck breasts in 400 degree F oven for 3-4 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 155 degrees F. Let product rest 2-3 minutes before slicing.

• Grilling a duck breast:
1. When grilling boneless duck breasts, you will also achieve the best results by starting the cooking process indoors and later moving them to the grill.
2. First, render the fat from underneath the skin in a skillet on the stove (about 10 minutes over medium low heat). Then move the breasts to the grill.
3. Place meat side down and grill for 5 minutes. Turn over and finish for 2-3 minutes. Internal temperature of the duck breast should be 155 degrees F. Let rest five minutes before slicing.
Note: If you wish to add sauce while grilling, brush it on before placing the duck breast on the grill.

Last edited:
This is my pekin duck lunch using the above recipe. I also fry the potatoes in the rendered duck fat, as well as the stir fried vegetables. The meat tastes like filet mignon.

37123_lunch.jpg

Back
Top Bottom