Raising our 1st set of CX meaties

They're looking good, Angelicisi. I can't believe how fast they grow either.

Okay, if I click that YouTube video, my computer isn't going to explode with something not safe for work, is it? Just checking, work computer, haha.

Haha no, I don't know how to embed the video via mobile, so I made a you tube for my creature videos and can upload there, then copy and paste the link lol.

They're looking good, Angelicisi.  I can't believe how fast they grow either.

Okay, if I click that YouTube video, my computer isn't going to explode with something not safe for work, is it?  Just checking, work computer, haha.

Good to hear they're growing again! I have read the last two weeks they can eat what they consumed all weeks prior and have a giant growth spurt.
I culled the 2 chicks. :(
A lot of time and effort for very lil chance on a meatie was too much. Cost and time efficiency is important to us but I've been trying for a couple days and they were just too far gone I think. The nervous system was wrecking havoc on their bodies :( so I think it was for the best. Still sucks even if they are to be eaten I want them healthy and happy.

Haha @ cold 40! That might as well be Antarctica to me lol
My plan was at 2 weeks into the hoop coop! I was worried about the weather but as you said their body heat is crazy hot, so I think by the end of this week ill put them outdoors.

I LOVE our plucker and was only about $10 to make!

Angelicisi, I don't know about the failure to thrive chicks.  Maybe culling would be the best? 

I'm in southern AZ, and had my chicks out just before 2 weeks old. On the "colder" nights, I cover their A-frame pen.  By colder, I mean in the 40s (I'm sure some people would laugh that I even classify that as cold).  These guys generate so much body heat that I wasn't too worried about them being outside with hardly any feathers. 

Also, that post I wrote 4-days ago about the chicks not being big enough to process as Cornish game hens?  Yeah, they're huge now.  I haven't weighed them, but certainly big enough. 

Oh, and I meant to make a drill attached plucker this weekend, I just need a pvc end cap.  I was even at Lowe's and forgot the end cap.  I'll be processing 4, maybe 6, this weekend. 

Do you have the instructions on how to make? I love that. I need one ASAP.

He made it in about 30 min. When he gets home ill get the proper name for the bolt he used. And measure it for you. Gimme a few minutes.
I think *this one is a four inch cap- we already had- but many we saw use a 6 inch cap...BRB
Sorry one hand mobile need 3 hands for somethin else lol

There's a thread somewhere on here about making a drill plucker. I read that thread and using the advice from Angel, made mine in about 45 minutes. I had a hard time drilling straight up and down holes for the straps! My first two were definitely crooked. My finger straps are about 4" long. And my end cap was 4", couldn't find a 6" one. I don't think the diameter would have made a difference, though I do think a bit of a longer tube would have worked better. I might build another one that is longer (3 or even 4 rows of fingers), perhaps with longer fingers. I wasn't sure how long the straps should be.

Aw, watched the video! I love how friendly they are. I know they really just want food, but the other chicks I've raised could be starving and still running away from me!

Here's this guy's thread on the drill plucker. I found it really helpful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/221426/update-how-to-build-process-station-cheap-pics I think I'll build a new one and model it more like this one. I did do the straps like Angelisici's model, and that worked really well.

I ended up just using an end cap, and I feel it was too narrow--even for the small CXs I did (processed as Cornish game hens, so they were under 3lbs). Still managed to whap my fingers a few times!

Last edited:
Hubby doesn't want to have to hold the chickens. He does and will, but is devising a homemade EZ plucker I believe...toss in and good to go lol...I am on the search for a dryer (not working) now for the drum insert...
Here's this guy's thread on the drill plucker.  I found it really helpful.  https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/221426/update-how-to-build-process-station-cheap-pics  I think I'll build a new one and model it more like this one.  I did do the straps like Angelisici's model, and that worked really well. 

I ended up just using an end cap, and I feel it was too narrow--even for the small CXs I did (processed as Cornish game hens, so they were under 3lbs).  Still managed to whap my fingers a few times! 

Back
Top Bottom