Raising our 1st set of CX meaties

I need to keep away from TSC during Chick Days. Last year got me into trouble with their straight run bantams. Holy roosters! Though, I have occasionally spotted silkies in there… and I do need some...

LOL.  I have too many eggs to hatch to go there for chicks.  I will be stocking up on brooder lamps and bulbs as well as egg cartons.  They had the cartons on sale for 29 cents each last year.  My only weakness would be getting some CX, but I have a bunch of capons and pullets that I need to process right now, that I wish I already had processed.

I bought a couple boxes of heat lamps this week (2 for $8.00). They are usually $10.00 at Walmart or Lowe's.

I bought a couple boxes of heat lamps this week (2 for $8.00). They are usually $10.00 at Walmart or Lowe's.
I think that I got a 2 pack of bulbs at TSC last year for $8.00..250 watt, I believe. I want to have them on standby. Lord knows when the government will outlaw them. Did you get yours from TSC?

I think that I got a 2 pack of bulbs at TSC last year for $8.00..250 watt, I believe.  I want to have them on standby.  Lord knows when the government will outlaw them.  Did you get yours from TSC?

Yes, I surely did. That same sale is on now. Hurry up and go get you some. I'm stocking up. Will probably get more this week.

That's a good price, I'll have to get some once I feel safe to leave the house. I didn't know you couldn't brood meat chicks with standard chicks either, so I need to sort another brooder out.

If you go and there's none left then that may mean that I bought them all. :oops: But I don't mind selling some to you at that same low price. I tend to go over board when I find a good deal. Yes, I would be afraid to brood meat chicks and standard chicks. I think the meat chicks would squish the standard babies.

If you go and there's none left then that may mean that I bought them all.
hide.gif
But I don't mind selling some to you at that same low price. I tend to go over board when I find a good deal. Yes, I would be afraid to brood meat chicks and standard chicks. I think the meat chicks would squish the standard babies.

Nah! I had a few standard packing peanuts in my batch of CX last spring and they did just fine! Here's a pic of them in comparison shots of size....

If you go and there's none left then that may mean that I bought them all. :oops: But I don't mind selling some to you at that same low price. I tend to go over board when I find a good deal. Yes, I would be afraid to brood meat chicks and standard chicks. I think the meat chicks would squish the standard babies.
Nah! I had a few standard packing peanuts in my batch of CX last spring and they did just fine! Here's a pic of them in comparison shots of size....
Awwwwwwwwww. Look how cute! They are beautiful!

Cute! My partner is working on an ambulance tonight, I promised him I wouldn't leave the house tomorrow :) I will stop by on Thursday or Friday, keep my fingers crossed they have some left.

Our "brooder" is actually the one they use in TSC for brooders, the galvanised feed thingies. With how big the meaties get, I should probably have a second brooder as a back up plan anyway.

Nah!  I had a few standard packing peanuts in my batch of CX last spring and they did just fine!  Here's a pic of them in comparison shots of size....

Cute! My partner is working on an ambulance tonight, I promised him I wouldn't leave the house tomorrow :) I will stop by on Thursday or Friday, keep my fingers crossed they have some left. 

Our "brooder" is actually the one they use in TSC for brooders, the galvanised feed thingies. With how big the meaties get, I should probably have a second brooder as a back up plan anyway.

No, please don't leave tomorrow. The roads will still be bad tomorrow. I'm staying in ALL DAY. Backup plans are always good.

No, please don't leave tomorrow. The roads will still be bad tomorrow. I'm staying in ALL DAY. Backup plans are always good.

Oh no, I definitely won't be! I'm pregnant, have a bad cold, a 5 year old with gastro and a 2 year old with gastro and a cold. We have been camped out in bed all day today and will be right here tomorrow, lol. I'm only up now because apparently all the stores close down during a curfew, and my partner was starving and drove by the house to get food.

Back
Top Bottom