Raising our New Zealand Meat Rabbits *Start to finish - Birth to processing* Possible Graphic pics*

I am so excited both of my does kindled last night! Woohoo!
celebrate.gif
I have not messed with them only because the one does not like to be messed with and I just did not have enough darn time this morning before work! lol I will get pics soon!

Our buck "Buttkiss" (aka old football player just my way of spelling) is on top - he's supposed to be new zealand/californian. I hope he has some more growing to do. He's supposed to be close to 6mo. The girls are about twice his size. Shadow is in the middle picture. She's supposed to be sisters with the preggo girl in the bottom photo named Blaze. Shadow and Blaze are both about 11 mo old and around 9 lbs at weigh in prior to pregnancy. If all goes well with our first breeding, both does will be bred on the next go around. I want to get Shadow bred b4 she is 1 but was too scared to mate them both at the same time for the first time around. My family was worried I might turn into a hoarder
roll.png
. The thought of going from 3 to potentially 23 had me worried. I'm not sure how much help I'll have when harvest time comes. I had to just dip my big toe in the water this first time until I get the hang of all of this. Am sure we will get quite a mixture of colors in our mutts. I'm curious to see what the kit sizes are like at 10 weeks given the difference in size of the buck and the doe.

This is my new rabbit Her name is Tianna 5 month old NZ Black

here is Laurel and Hardy both are Flemish mixed 8 weeks old If you live in Pa and want a nice friendly buck this is for you comes from a very large blood line. their dad Is my avatar doesn't he look proud ?

I am right behind you mine are due in 7 days this is her first litter can't wait
bun.gif

Yay for babies!

I have to tell you I almost had a heart attack this morning with them. Stormy my GTS NZ had 8 kits and Lyta my White NZ had 4 kits. I went out this morning before work to check on them and give them some hay and I turned the lights on and was talking to them and heard a soft mewling noise I looked down and one of my white kits was on the ground! I hurried and scooped it up and she was getting cold and I warmed her up by breathing on her put her back in with momma (luckily momma was ok with me breathing all over her kit). I knew I should have sprung for the baby saver wire! I would have been devastated if something even worse would have happened! When these litters are grown I am going to add wire to make my own babysaver wire so this will not happen again. Hopefully no more babies outside of the nest box for a while!
fl.gif

Yay for babies!

I have to tell you I almost had a heart attack this morning with them. Stormy my GTS NZ had 8 kits and Lyta my White NZ had 4 kits. I went out this morning before work to check on them and give them some hay and I turned the lights on and was talking to them and heard a soft mewling noise I looked down and one of my white kits was on the ground! I hurried and scooped it up and she was getting cold and I warmed her up by breathing on her put her back in with momma (luckily momma was ok with me breathing all over her kit). I knew I should have sprung for the baby saver wire! I would have been devastated if something even worse would have happened! When these litters are grown I am going to add wire to make my own babysaver wire so this will not happen again. Hopefully no more babies outside of the nest box for a while!
fl.gif

That happened to me this year but I lost four babies all dead on the ground I did cage mending for a month. Then let me tell you this 2 coyotes was banging on a cage and momma panicked jump up on the door and the coyotes pulled her leg out and ripped it off she did die . And the other coyote grabbed one of her babies It pulled the babies leg off to it died instantly god it was so devastating . She was my best momma .The hole in the cage was so small I just can't believe her foot was drug out so I spent another month on cage repairs. I hope This never happens again in my life time . I don't go out side empty handed now I am fully loaded if you know what I mean .

That happened to me this year but I lost four babies all dead on the ground I did cage mending for a month. Then let me tell you this  2 coyotes was banging on a cage and momma panicked jump up on the door and the coyotes pulled her leg out and ripped it off she did die . And the other coyote grabbed  one of her babies It pulled the babies leg off to it died instantly god it was so devastating . She was my best momma .The hole in the cage was so small I just can't believe her foot was drug out so I spent another month on cage repairs. I hope This never happens again in my life time .  I don't go out side empty handed now I am fully loaded if you know what I mean .

Oh my that's horrible! I know coyotes cannot get into the rabbit cage because they would have to go through my great pyr. That would be just devastating though to lose rabbits that way

Back
Top Bottom