Raising our New Zealand Meat Rabbits *Start to finish - Birth to processing* Possible Graphic pics*

Thanks!
I don't like the battery acid for its abbrasiveness. Alum, not aluminum. :) It's just a salt. When I tan, I go with the alum mix. first soak is 3 days, then you flesh the hides with the edge of your choice (I actually prefer a fleshing knife), but anything works. Then you make a new Alum solution and soak them for a week. After that, you let them hang to dry for a day, and take them off while they're still just a bit moist and pliable. Then you get to put on your favorite movie marathon and sit down for what seams like forever to "break" the hides by rubbing in mink oil to loosen them up. 

And yes, you can do any sort stitching you like. Some methods are better than others. But it takes a lot of hides to make a blanket. There are plenty of youtube videos on the tanning process, and  you can find lots of info on tanning recipes online. 

Alum is a natural salt. 

I think both does faked me out :/ re breeding tomorrow, they're a week past due their 2nd breeding, made nests, pulled fur then destroyed nests and now a week late last recorded breeding. :th

Tomorrow we rebreed :/

We have a new arrival too. A doe someone couldn't keep so we took her in. She's a sweetheart :) needs to gain a bit if weight but looks happy and is really friendly. I think she's a lop, a fellow member commented she looks similar to the minilops she shows. I don't have great pics of her yet tho. This weekend the bunnies get to run outdoors and ill get some better pics of the herd.

I think I'm gonna process a buck from a litter. I have a spare and would like to have it for Sunday dinner. Hubby is working and I was thinking I'd surprise him. That would mean I'm processing my 1st rabbit alone. Doh.
I have a lot of reading to do...can I process and cook same day or is there a resting period as with chickens? I may have to plan this better. Is hate to ruin the meat. I can cook it but I've always bought it ready to cook, usually quartered even. :lau whew I get nervous typing it. I can do this tho. :oops:

YOU CAN DO IT! Processing rabbits is SOOOO much easier than chickens... Especially young rabbits....

There IS a resting period. But if you slow cook it for a few hours nobody will know. ;D Mmmm.... Slow cooked chipotle bbq pulled rabbit sandwiches, anyone?

I have a rescue in my herd too. She's a lot bigger than yours. XD But she is an amazing mom! Just had 8 kits at 3 years old today! Very exciting! I am starting to settle on thinking she's 1/2Rhinelander, 1/2 FG....

Awwww that's awesome! I love when they get a chance to be mommy :) nice big litter too!
YOU CAN DO IT! Processing rabbits is SOOOO much easier than chickens... Especially young rabbits....

There IS a resting period. But if you slow cook it for a few hours nobody will know. ;D Mmmm.... Slow cooked chipotle bbq pulled rabbit sandwiches, anyone?

I have a rescue in my herd too. She's a lot bigger than yours. XD But she is an amazing mom! Just had 8 kits at 3 years old today! Very exciting! I am starting to settle on thinking she's 1/2Rhinelander, 1/2 FG....

Hmmmm new auto waterer, freshly hung cages, loaded up on feed n hay...sold a whole bunch of bunnies today :th lol that IS the goal but need more now lol. Remaining buns are in their own cages now tho :gig

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom