Raising our New Zealand Meat Rabbits *Start to finish - Birth to processing* Possible Graphic pics*

:) I will. Am actually excited about trying a recipe. I do have favorites (Cletus Van Dam is a buck that we will never cull lol) but I also feel each animal should have a great life & one bad day...happy & well socialized creatures are easier to work with for me at slaughter time too. No panic or screaming (yes bunnies scream when scared or feel they are being attacked).
I always feel sadness a lil but I also feel so proud when I have a dressed chicken (rabbit soon!) In my freezer that we raised right, gave a good life and I know personally what went into it making that happen, it makes me appreciate the creature more :)

We processed a set of chickens this weekend and afterwards I asked hubby about culling a buck. :lau we were tired but already in that zone so I figured hey! Let's have a rabbit for Sunday dinner! Lol He declined :lau . We keep chicken processing equip and areas separate from other animals we process so it would require setting up and clean up and we had just cleaned up :)
But when we finally do, I'll be posting it! Well i will try and keep it PG13!

With all the hands on, do you think you will be able to do "the deed" when it is time.  If I remember correctly, you have so many that are sold already that you haven't had the opportunity yet. 

So I have to do some work on the website, I've been avoiding it lol too pretty outside and soooo much to do but I must! Lol
I was thinking of adding a recipe page. Recipes for chicken & rabbit (rabbit I get asked about a lot lol)
I want to add customers recipes and maybe feature one monthly, of course giving credit to the cook!
Do you think this would be well perceived? Or think I'll take a licking for cooking creatures? Lol
I personally think it'd be fun but then again I do know its a sensitive subject for some...

Angelicisi - I am moving slow and steady toward filling my freezer with our own home grown meat for the same reasons. I am up to the step of - clear the clutter in the garage to make room for the freezer
big_smile.png
. I am months away from the breeding, let alone the harvest. Thank you for the reminder of why I chose to get into my small backyard homestead.

As for the recipe ideas, I personally appreciate it. The first time I cooked rabbit,(back in January) I didn't have a clue. My husband thought it would be a good idea for us to eat rabbit before I decided if we were going to start raising them. Well, I knew we were going to start raising them, so I bought two NZX babies and the breeder I got them from harvested a full grown rabbit in front of me so I could take it home and cook it. She gave it to me free. While I let it rest in the fridge, I found a woman on you tube who provided a recipe and it was DELISH! There will always be those who have something negative to say. I like when people put a disclaimer on their website or video saying, "whatever the title is" and if you don't want to see "whatever the video contains) then don't watch. Perhaps you could word it more politely than I have. Maybe, something like, here are some recipes that a person can use chicken, rabbit or ..... I'm confident that whatever you decide, your true nature will come through and your commitment to your animals will be clearly understood. All the best.

Well, coldest night of Spring in April and Doe #2 - Cracker , began furiously pulling fur and making a nest today while cleaning out the rabbitry! Whhhhhy! One day its freezing-one! And she kindles :/ so nervous. It's only dropping to 34 degrees for an hour or so but are they safe? Cages are hung, I draped a sheet over to block wind which is wicked cold today compared to our 86 degrees yesterday. :th

Update. Within 10 minutes she had them! Lol ticked them in well. She had at least 6! (7 I think but don't want them to catch a draft so let them be)

Last edited:
Well, coldest night of Spring in April and Doe #2 - Cracker , began furiously pulling fur and making a nest today while cleaning out the rabbitry! Whhhhhy! One day its freezing-one! And she kindles
hmm.png
so nervous. It's only dropping to 34 degrees for an hour or so but are they safe? Cages are hung, I draped a sheet over to block wind which is wicked cold today compared to our 86 degrees yesterday.
th.gif

Update. Within 10 minutes she had them! Lol ticked them in well. She had at least 6! (7 I think but don't want them to catch a draft so let them be)

They'll be fine. It's amazing how insulating that fur is, and how well the babies are capable of snuggling down in. Don't be afraid to count them. The few seconds it will take will make sure there are no still-births in there. Cold is seldom an issue for rabbits. It's the heat you really have to worry about.

As a general aside, remember that even though New Zealands are bread for captivity, they're still animals. And nature is pretty amazing at preparing mamas and babies to propagate. :)

Congrats!

:th Eleven. 11. Yes. Cracker the NZW doe had ELEVEN KITS. :bun

Im thinking thats too many for her... :(
But another1st time mommy doe is due today so I have a foster maybe. 2 of the 11 are smaller but fat bellies so maybe they'll all make it? I'm thinking bigger isn't always better in regards to litter size ? Bigger baby yes bigger number of offspring can be an issue no? Eleven?! Poor girls happy tho. Sweet even.

And Amy another NZ doe just made the most insane nest and started pulling fur lol its like they're racing babies lol

So I was searching processing rabbits...I came across this video. "For Wussies" he said. Made me laugh and is quick and I can see clearly how he did it.
*WARNING* He's butchering a rabbit. Don't watch if your squeamish, although if you are squeamish, and your still curious THIS is the video for you!

This guy cracks me up omg wrong video! I fixed it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom