Raising Peafowl 101

Wow Deer man thanks,

i will have to go read on this cause a 2 month window is a long time,never heard of such a thing in animals but i have never been owned by peafowl before.

My area for the pea chicks will be on fresh ground it is warm i can set up in a different area instead of putting them where my flocks gather cause most all of them were raised in the green house at one time.

I would rather they have their own area to roost when they come in, of course i am sure they will end up with room mates from the goonie squad .

Do they get blackhead from chickens ,i never seen it before so i don't know what it looks like, i read turkeys get it but i do not have any, but might get some from the place i am getting the pea chicks from they have a hatch due soon.

Guess the worst thing i ever had happen to some of my flock was fowl pox, i failed to vaccinate a batch that hatched because some one was suppose to come get them and didn't .

Yes chicken can be carriers of blackhead with no harm to the chickens. not all ,but only takes one......

most new people to peafowl . Any chicks they lose are in the first few months. Its about the same with poults also

Here the ground is damp and full of worms and etc. When peachicks get a little older , they can fight off things like cocci.
Cocci take sometime to kill them ,reason the peachicks look ok the first month, but die so after.

Check some of the UPA member site you will find most top breeders raise them on wire the first month.

Now I know some raise them free range, they also lose alot of peachicks.

To each there own, myself I know I don't lose many after I started raising them on wire bottom brooder and pens.

Thanks Deerman, i will do more reserch,i have no problem raising them off the ground,i have lots of room here.

I am getting 6 and see how it goes, i will be happy just having a couple here.

If i end up with just males will they be ok together free ranging?

Will peacocks mate with guineas if there are no peahens?

I saw some photos of that cross and they were ...Well "UGLY"

Back
Top Bottom