raising pinkies

The only reason I wouldn't do it is because it's just more work. For a snake, it's fine, they need them. But a chicken can easily get enough nutrients from as pinkie as it can eating a cup of yogurt, some BOSS and a piece of leftover lunch meat. I'd raise what I need that isn't too much work. If you want to raise a good sized, meaty feeder with lots of protein that will actually benefit you chickens - Go the blaptica dubia roach route. They get about 2 inches, 35-36% protein, breed well once established, have NO smell, make no noise, do NOT or CAN'T climb, can't bite, and are very slow and easily handled. I have mine in the first place to feed my reptiles, but the extra males make GREAT chicken treats. Many people don't get over the "ick" factor, but to me they just seem like big rollie pollies.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

How is your colony doing?
smile.png

You know, whenever you have too feeders much you can always get a reptile or two. Bearded dragons and leopard geckos make great roach disposal bins.
wink.png

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

How is your colony doing?
smile.png

You know, whenever you have too feeders much you can always get a reptile or two. Bearded dragons and leopard geckos make great roach disposal bins.
wink.png

The colony is doing very well, getting so big. I decided not to feed any this first year, or at least not many. Just to grow the colony to a good size since I started w/ around 100 only. I was suprised by the size of the adult, larger then I was thinking, but all the better to feed the girls!!!!

Pet Duck Boy brings up a good point...the roaches are a great idea (though not what I would raise, because they require a heat source). I raise mealworms. They are SOOO easy to raise and my chickens go nuts for them. I've raised mice, hamsters (some hairless), gerbils, rats, guinea pigs....rodents stink. Period. I would hate to add that maintenance to my daily/weekly list just to supplement protein for my chickens. Mealworms (and I'm sure those roaches) are a great way to go.

The first time I saw a Red Star eat an adult field mouse, I was seriously "icked" for several hours. She ATE IT WHOLE! I didn't realize how much a chicken could resemble a Monitor Lizard in one moment. She gulped just like a lizard would! Since then I've come across oher mice while cleaning their coop. The hens enjoy the chase after the adults. The roosters just stand there like they can't understand why the females are making such a fuss. When I found the nest of pinkies, I figured the mother was either already dead or running for her life. I scooped the pinkies into a bucket and passed them out. I believe every one was eaten whole. Even the guineas liked them.

Needless to say, I don't use mouse poison out in the yard. I'm switching to snap traps inside as well.

Yeah, the more I think about it, pinkies seem to be a rather inefficient source of protein to try & raise just for chickens. If you're already raising them for your reptiles, or find a nest of wildlings, then go ahead and give some now & again to the birds. But one chicken could gobble up in a minute an entire litter of pinkies that took weeks to produce. The worms or the insects seem to provide a more efficient return for you time & effort.

I gotta say thank you to everyone who contributed to this discussion. It definitly gave us all some food for thought
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

I've decided that instead of doing the pinkie thing, I'll probably do the roach thing, seems less work intensive
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom