raising pinkies

Quote:
I agree 100% on this one. From experience, I would much rather raise rats than mice. They don't smell near as bad either.

That would be cool, raising them to feed the young as chicken treats...

So, now I feel the need to clarify something
smile.png

Apparantly what I tossed for the gals the other day were not pinkies but i'm guessing several days old. What I found under the feed can this morning were pinkies
big_smile.png
and one of the younguns grabbed one and ran like a bat out of hell before swallowing it whole, just like a snake, like another poster mentioned. I'm so proud of that one
big_smile.png

And, if I continue to find nests, I'll continue to feed them to the birds, but I think as something to raise as a supplemental thing I'll probably stick with mealworms or roaches, less smelly and I can probably get away with keeping those in the house
roll.png

ETA:
I wasn't going to say anything, but there was a post that sorta irked me. Someone claimed that it was unethical to feed poor helpless defenseless babies to the chickens. Is this same person also a vegetarian? Do they buy meat/dairy/eggs in the store? Chances are, your food is not ethical either, so unless you can show that all your food is raised in an ethical and humane way, and butchered in same, it is no different than feeding the pinkies to the birds. I understand it as far as getting better and more nutrition from yogurt and such (although to be honest if your talking probiotics its better to go pre, not pro) but not from an ethical standpoint.

Aight, I feel better
smile.png

Last edited:
The most lively thing my pug would "hunt" was a biscuit! When we had her we also had a chow mix and the pug would stir up trouble and stand BEHIND the chow! If the chow wasn't around she would go find her then start trouble making! But my little wiener dog is a hunter extradinaire. Thought we were going to have alot of trouble w/ him and the chickens, but so far he seems to understand if they are in their fence they are off limits, wouldn't take any bets on if they get out though
hit.gif
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom