Raising Quail in Louisiana

teachrjones

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Louisiana
I've been wanting to raise quail for over a decade now, and originally was put off by how small they were--I didn't want any getting loose. Next year I want to raise poultry of some kind primarily for eggs, but could be for meat too, and thought this would be a good time to look into quail. How does one go about raising quail and how much space would they require? I wanted bobwhites because I would rarely hear their calls in the woods, but I have also heard that they are a difficult breed to keep alive. Any thoughts/information would be helpful!

I've been wanting to raise quail for over a decade now, and originally was put off by how small they were--I didn't want any getting loose. Next year I want to raise poultry of some kind primarily for eggs, but could be for meat too, and thought this would be a good time to look into quail. How does one go about raising quail and how much space would they require? I wanted bobwhites because I would rarely hear their calls in the woods, but I have also heard that they are a difficult breed to keep alive. Any thoughts/information would be helpful!

If you want to keep quail primarily for eggs, Coturnix would be the breed you should research. They can become very tame. They lay better than all others. They are a darker meat than Bobs, which is generally thought to be a bit better on the table. I like both. Any bird needs as much space as you can give it. But a 2'x2' wire pen is very commonly used for breeding quads of coturnix. You'll also need a larger one for "grow out" if you plan to hatch. For eating eggs only a 4'x2' pen and 6 to 8 hens will work well. They lay just fine with no roo. For hatching, a incubator is required as they will not likely go broody and complete the process.
Bobs are much more "flighty" and need more space. They have been raised in captivity a much shorter period, and remember their wild roots clearly. They can be tamed to a extent over time. Fewer numbers such as pairs, will produce a calmer bird in the long run. Birds kept in a large pen with high numbers will remain wild. Its their nature to "Key" off one and other. One flush and they all flush, even if they dont know why. Natures way.... Bobs are also "First spring breeders" that take a long time to mature. 2-3 times as long as a coturnix. Bobs can be induced to lay out of season with lights, but the fertility is sometimes lacking.... Welcome to quail and good luck with your birds. Bill

Would it be possible to raise bobwhites and coturnix together? Bobwhites are local, but I haven't heard their call in two decades and I miss hearing it, but with what you told me, the coturnix seems best for what I'm wanting.

The answer is no, you cannot keep them together. During mating season, the male bobs will kill any intruder, which would be the coturnix. If they were in separate cages, then yes, you could raise them separately.
Listen, Fad Daddy is like EF Hutton... when he talks, people listen. What I heard: Coturnix... research... good luck.
James

The answer is no, you cannot keep them together. During mating season, the male bobs will kill any intruder, which would be the coturnix. If they were in separate cages, then yes, you could raise them separately.
Listen, Fad Daddy is like EF Hutton... when he talks, people listen. What I heard: Coturnix... research... good luck.
James

lau.gif
HA! I thank you for the kind words James, but my dog wont even listen to me man!

Would it be possible to raise bobwhites and coturnix together? Bobwhites are local, but I haven't heard their call in two decades and I miss hearing it, but with what you told me, the coturnix seems best for what I'm wanting.

IMHO James has told ya true. I have had no luck with different species share'n anything. Some make it work but to tell ya true, it makes my eye twitch when I read about it... Most folks start in quail with coturnix.... They are what ya might call the "The Gateway Bird"... Then one day you'll notice you're not get'n the same rush from hatch'n a bator full of fuzzy butts as you once did. Some enabler will offer ya a few Bobs or Cali's just to get ya over the hump.... BAM! next thing ya know your sit'n in your spare bed room wonder'n where in world are ya gonna put all the chukar chicks and your wife is wonder'n whats all that "chirp'n" thats come'n from her hall closet!!! Like I said, Welcome to quail, Good luck!

lau.gif
HA! I thank you for the kind words James, but my dog wont even listen to me man!

IMHO James has told ya true. I have had no luck with different species share'n anything. Some make it work but to tell ya true, it makes my eye twitch when I read about it... Most folks start in quail with coturnix.... They are what ya might call the "The Gateway Bird"... Then one day you'll notice you're not get'n the same rush from hatch'n a bator full of fuzzy butts as you once did. Some enabler will offer ya a few Bobs or Cali's just to get ya over the hump.... BAM! next thing ya know your sit'n in your spare bed room wonder'n where in world are ya gonna put all the chukar chicks and your wife is wonder'n whats all that "chirp'n" thats come'n from her hall closet!!! Like I said, Welcome to quail, Good luck!
yuckyuck.gif
This couldn't be more true.

Ok, selling dressed quail in louisiana, calasieu to be exact. I read if you just sell to individuals, you do not need anything, as for as permits, licenses etc. Is this true?

Yeah i started with coturnix 2 years ago just sold my last 50 emptied my pen got my chicken yard and coop built got 7 chickens started. And the incubator in the spare bedroom with a dozen turkey eggs in it. Why you ask? I got bored lmao!

Back
Top Bottom