Crazy Duck Lover

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Southern United States 🇺🇸
Hey y’all! This is my first time raising ducklings and I need some help. I had 4 ducklings hatch 3 days ago, and 5 more in a separate incubator have pipped today. 2 days ago I moved the four to their brooder. I just want to know.. how do you rear you ducklings/chicks and get them acclimated to the outdoors? Also at what ages (ex 1 week old, 2 weeks old, etc.)
Thanks!

Attachments

• A0EFE0D7-9143-4244-8315-7C6433E43181.jpeg
    A0EFE0D7-9143-4244-8315-7C6433E43181.jpeg
    408.3 KB · Views: 5
It will depend on your outside temperature. They will need a heat source (start 90f dropping it some each week) for the first few weeks, but make sure they can go away from it. Watch them and see where they are comfortable. By 6 weeks they don't usually need heat in temperatures that are comfortable for humans.

Congrats on your hatch! The babies are adorable!! As far as outdoors, until they grow out of their fuzzy phase, they should be supervised outside bc of predators and I always make sure the temp isn't more than 10 degrees higher or lower than their brooder temp. They wont be able to regulate their body temps until they have their normal feathers.

Greens and grass can be introduced at anytime. Make sure if its grass from your yard, it doesnt have any pesticide, treatment or fertilizer on it.

Otherwise they can swim supervised in a little tub of water for short periods of time in lukewarm water...dry them when they come out of the water so they don't get chilly. And enjoy them while they're tiny...they grow fast 😊

Congrats on your hatch! The babies are adorable!! As far as outdoors, until they grow out of their fuzzy phase, they should be supervised outside bc of predators and I always make sure the temp isn't more than 10 degrees higher or lower than their brooder temp. They wont be able to regulate their body temps until they have their normal feathers.

Greens and grass can be introduced at anytime. Make sure if its grass from your yard, it doesnt have any pesticide, treatment or fertilizer on it.

Otherwise they can swim supervised in a little tub of water for short periods of time in lukewarm water...dry them when they come out of the water so they don't get chilly. And enjoy them while they're tiny...they grow fast 😊
Thank you! Yes, they do grow fast.. it makes me sad! They’ve already doubled that size😭 I still love them though!!

Back
Top Bottom