Raising roosters together with a good ration of hens

FYI, most hawks don't try to carry off a chicken, no matter the breed. They break the neck and feast on the head, and that's usually it.

If you have a lot of good cover in your yard where the chickens can hunker under if they see a sky predator, they'll usually be fine. That includes chairs, tables, toy wagons, as well as low-growing vegetation. They know instinctively to run underneath something, and that prevents the hawk from nabbing them.

I had three separate areas and one roo per....

two of the areas were adjacent and, after awhile,
I opened it up and allowed all of the birds to roam
together...

One of the roos was at least twice the size of
the other with more personality than any roo
ought to have ;)

He immediately decided that he was Daddy Roo
and ruler of the roost....

unfortunately, the second roo spent all of his time
hiding inside his coop.... I felt soooo bad for him.

Daddy Roo would not let him near any of "HIS"
ladies....

I finally merged the third group, I kept them in
their own coop - able to see and interact on a limited
basis with all of the other birds...

after about a week of this, I opened the door and let
the birds decide on when/whether they wanted to
come out....

Daddy Roo chased the newest roo relentlessly....

New Roo spent days and days in the coop with
his beak touching the floor....

I have about 30 ladies. Hatched several dozen
chicks this Summer and the roos have "emerged"
over the past month or so.....

There are now 12 roos .... fortunately, I built a new
run this Fall - they have a space of 50' x 25' to
roam about in ...not too many squabbles.

I will be culling the herd in a couple of weeks... it's
hard to choose.

A question I have..... how long do you keep roos
before trading them out?

I've modified my order twice since I've last posted here. First to increase the amount of chicks then, after a more realistic and experienced friend sat me down, to decrease it. So now I'm getting 10 (including the mealmaker). Hopefully no one is having an off day sexing on hatch day.

I think you're wise to start smaller. You will learn a lot with your first flock. You will probably make some mistakes or at least make choices you wouldn't do again. With a smaller flock, it will be easier, for you and your birds, to learn these lessons. Your future larger flock will GREATLY benefit from your learned experience.

:D
I think you're wise to start smaller. You will learn a lot with your first flock. You will probably make some mistakes or at least make choices you wouldn't do again. With a smaller flock, it will be easier, for you and your birds, to learn these lessons. Your future larger flock will GREATLY benefit from your learned experience.

Oh, yes, Meg got to this point after she hammered in all of the practical reasons on how I was getting in over my head lol. When someone with more experience tells you that you're getting too many then you tend to listen. I probably would be overwhelmed at just the basic maintenance and cost for 20 birds. Which would make it easier for me to miss something or make mistakes. I definitely agree that any later flock is better of with a more experienced owner.

Last edited:
We started with 6. A year later we had about 50 and had to build a new coop to house them. We got sloppy and lost over a dozen to predators. Lesson learned and I feel sad for losing so many. Plus feeding 50 chickens adds up quick!

That dreaded chicken math I've heard so much about. One way I rationalized getting more was actually potential predator losses and simply DOAs/failure to thrives. Aerial predators are the only things I don't feel confident in protecting them against. Unless they're only allowed in the run.

The big problem too, is one buys chicks that are tiny and don't take up much space......and there seems to be more than enough space in the coop/run for more....... then everyone gets bigger and what was way too much space is now not enough space and the the chicken problems start.

I too think, start with a smaller amount, get some experience, figure out the feed costs, the space issues, predator problems, then next year, add some more, grow those up, cull some, next year add a few more...

A hobby with benefits and infinite variety.

Mrs K

I'v had 1 accident,but figured out now,how I can actually pick at least 2 roo's together(But I haven't tooken a risk,not that there is 1).

Somethings I learned about roosters,is,they fight,over hens,and pecking order.The lower rooster,has barely any rights to mate.This is why you let them figure their pecking order out.Not all roosters go with this exactly.
Say you bring in "New" hens/pullets.Jacks it up right there.When dillemas with 2 fighting cocks/roosters,you should put them in a pen.Be sure it's near each other.They can see them,but nobodies getting hurt,(By this I mean,leave 1 in a grow out pen or something similar ,A CAGE!and then leave 1 in the same exact place it already was in.

Let's say you hatch a lil cockeral.For the first weeks or months,he'll be fine.Once they reach their Sexually matured age,that's when incidents happen.It's full out battle.Then just simply leave 1 roo,in a different cage,(the grow out pen for the cock).

It solves all your problems,and if you have a older,by this I mean mature rooster who can handle cockeral's,you should be fine introducing them,not through fence,face to face.(Be sure the rooster,mature 1,is older then 2 years.)

I guess i'll explain my accident.Well for months my Roo Joe was doing fine with his son,even as he became Sexually matured.Of course,we get new hens,and only 1-2 square ups,but just scramming the young cock away work.
I believe it's when Joe's son,turned a bit,and started learning a lil bit more about this whole Pecking order.Well,this was different with Joe,he new he was tougher,mature,and had larger spurs.So,why wouldn't he take his advantage?
He spurred both eyes out,(No healing,either),and possible put his neck outta place.So,we were force to cull the guy,(as in kill him,and live him for a fox,coyote,bizzared ETC.

Don't take that to serious,it was my fault for letting the younger,weaker roo,try seeking his fathers thrown.

Back
Top Bottom