Raising the Galaxies

Rather than chopped grass, if you can get a shovelful of grass with roots and soil, that will be more beneficial in long run as it exposes the chicks to some of the microbes and bacteria that exist in your environment.
Thanks so much. I was gonna give them dirt but it was kinda muddy like and I was afraid id get all gobbed up in their throats...

Probably an irrational fear, but we really had a rough start, and I didn't wanna give someone a reason to choke...hence the chopped grass...bc I was afraid the big strands were too long. 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️

I didn't wanna give someone a reason to choke...hence the chopped grass...bc I was afraid the big strands were too long.
I believe it's actually less of a impaction risk to allow them to tear off small pieces from whole rooted blades of grass, as they'll tend to rip off small pieces that are suitable to eat, rather than entire blades.

But as long as the grass is consistently finely chopped enough I think it should be just as safe, especially since it's just a small amount.

March 7th. Morning check on the Galaxies at 330am. They all came out of their cave to eat and drink. Some are trying to fly around. Outside temp is 40 degrees, coop temp is 49-50 degrees. I left the lights on for them, but I imagine they will all go back to sleep.

730am check, the Galaxies seemed to have been up playing this entire time. They are all still running around. Some tucked under their little cave but many are out playing. I think I need to buy another feed trough just so they have more room to spread out while eating. 🤔

1030am. I put the new feed trough in, took them all of 2 min to find it lol. They all just crowded around that one 🤣🤣🤣 oh well, I gave them an option. I took a clump of dirt and grass from their run and put it in the coop with them. They are definitely more interested in the clump vs the chopped grass from yesterday. I saw many of them pecking at it.

The Galaxies are running around the coop even though there is a small breeze entering from the front door window. They don't seem to mind it.Temp outside is 49 degrees, temp in the coop is 57.

And the Galaxies have started to dust bathe!!! It's freaking adorable!!

Went out and sat with the Galaxies. They pretty well ignore me 😆 they are too busy having too good of a time.

Decided to name the two Black Asains.
Midnight and Star. Midnight is pretty much totally black feathered and Star has a small white dot on her head.(that would be her on the right side of the 2nd photo) I am thinking once they are grown they will move into my other coop, but thats totally undecided as of now.

Bedtime check. Everyone is getting settled down in their little cave. Coop temp is abt 52 degrees. Outside temp is 48 degrees. Low tonight will be 37 degrees.

We are having better luck for sure in a bigger space. I am very thankful for that.

Attachments

• 20230307_125656.jpg
    20230307_125656.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230307_140656.jpg
    20230307_140656.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 7
March 8th. 4am Galaxy check. Lights came on and out they came running acting like they were starving!!! They all headed to the food trough and were practically stepping on each other to find a hole their head will go in to get to the food. Coop temp abt 45 degrees. Outside temp is 42, with a real of feel of 37.

Went out at 8am to check on the Galaxies again. Some are in the cave, some are out. Coop temp is still 45. It's very windy outside so I am leaving the doors shut and the lights on. Outside temp 41 feels like 33.

Made the Galaxies some vitamin water, and added a plain water drinker as well today.

It is crazy windy outside. Temp is 49. Temp inside the coop is abt 49 as well. The Galaxies are coming and going under their cave but none seemed bothered by the cold. I left the screen door open for natural light and the Galaxies (though I think it's colder than what my weather app says) don't really seem to be cold.

I am noticing I don't have to check on them nearly as often anymore (though I do bc I am OBSESSED) they just keep doing the same thing lol. Flying, climbing, jumping, eating, sleeping. They all seem to be healthy birds!!! Fingers crossed I can keep it that way. Fingers crossed I ended up with at least 1 roo. I suppose the coming wks will tell.

Night check 7pm everyone is tucked in.
I added a mirror and a new cover to their cave today. (The other one was getting pretty darn dirty 😆)

The single chick in the photo I am hoping is a boy, I don't really know, and I know it's early but the white stripes on this one and one other chick are wider and brighter than all the others. 🤞🤞

Attachments

• 20230308_121225.jpg
    20230308_121225.jpg
    742.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230308_133540.jpg
    20230308_133540.jpg
    885 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230308_121014.jpg
    20230308_121014.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 7
March 9th. I went out to turn the lights on for the Galaxies at 4am. They sure do love those lights first thing in the morning. They zoom outta their cave in a manner that seems excited and thankful that it's time to play again lol

Went out at 8am to turn off the lights and open the door. The Galaxies are just acting like little kids. I caught one checking herself out in the mirror lol. Everyone else is just running around and FLYING. Flying to the top of the circle feeder, flying to the top of the waterers, flying from the ladder to the food....they are totally content to stretch their wings.

Coop temp is 50 degrees. I turned off the heat boards for a little while. They have gone nonstop except for 1 hr since the beginning (1 for just a wk) ipp turn them back on in a hr. They hold heat pretty ok so I don't figure the Galaxies will mind. Especially bc they aren't even really using it right now.

Turned heat boards back on after abt 45min. Galaxies are doing good, and the boards got a chance to cool down. Coop temp 52 degrees. Outside temp is also 52.

Raised the legs on the waterers. They are at their highest setting now. (They have 3) Hopefully this will help eliminate the pine shavings in the water. Everyone seems to be able to use them just fine. I am considering switching them to nipple waters, but the nipples I have are the bigger ones so thinking I should wait a couple more weeks. 🤔

With how much the Galaxies run around during the day, I am considering turning the temp down on the plate during the day, then back up during the night. 🤔🤔

Probably won't start that till they are 3wks old. Weather will not be above 55 in the next 10 days 🙄🙄

Gave the Galaxies some cooked egg yolk. They loved it once they weren't afraid of it 🤣🤣🤣

Weather is turning. Rain is starting. Temp is 52 degrees.

Night check. Temp in coop is 50 degrees. Temp outside is 50 degrees. Rain looks to be stopping soon. All the Galaxies are tucked in cozy tight. I think tomorrow I'll grab another 2x4 to raise the back end of the boards up a couple inches higher. The Galaxies are growing like weeds!!!

Attachments

• 20230309_134855.jpg
    20230309_134855.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230309_090834.jpg
    20230309_090834.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 6
March 10th. Temp outside is 42, real feel of 33. Coop temp is 47. The Galaxies have confirmed my suspicion that the heat boards need to go up, as a few of them were lined on the outside of the board with just their backs underneath it. I am gonna raise it up later and see how they do with it tonight. They may be telling me that its time to turn it down.

In checking the temp of the actual board on level 2 heat (150-170 regulating at 160 degrees) I think i will turn the board down to the lower setting (120-130 degrees)

Lunch check all Galaxies are accounted for. They are all playing. Coop temp is 50 degrees. I turned the boards to level 1 and ill see how they do.

After work check. Galaxies don't seem to mind the temp change in the boards. I turned them off for a little while . I set them up an inch higher in the back.

Boards are back on. Coop temp is 49 degrees outside temp is 43 degrees and windy!

I shut the coop around 530. All the Galaxies except one are tucked in for the evening. I suspect when I come back out in a little while to lock up the older birds...the lone ranger will have long tucked herself in.

Attachments

• 20230310_161727.jpg
    20230310_161727.jpg
    666.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230310_161638.jpg
    20230310_161638.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 6
March 11th.
We have successfully completed week 2!!
YAY GALAXIES!! 🎉🎉

They are all up running around this morning. It's 315. Coop temp is 32 outside temp is 29 degrees

Home on lunch.

Coop temp, roughly right around 52 degrees. Outside temp 49. It's fixing on raining here in a bit.

Spent a good amount of time with the Galaxies after work. Mostly just watching them eat lol. Eat and flap. They are happy birds and I am beginning to feel like I can actually succeed with the rest of these chicks. I feel really badly abt the ones I lost early on. It's sad I had to learn some invaluable lessons in such a way.

Night check, I forgot to catch the coop temp but it is 45 degrees outside with rain now starting. Low tonight will be 38 degrees.

Everyone is tucked in for the night. I fear they are outgrowing their heat set up I have going for them. 🤔🤔

March 11th.
Morning wake up call happened a bit earlier today bc of time change and the fact I gotta be at work at 330. So its 130am and the Galaxies are all up running and feeding! Coop temp is 33 degrees. Outside temp is 41 degrees. After a quick 5 min read, under the boards is 80 degrees.

Lunch check coop temp is 50 degrees. Outside temp is 42 degrees.
Galaxies are happily playing. 😊 I lifted the back sides of their boards up abt another 3 inches. They are pretty level now, and I think this will get them through the next couple of weeks. 🤞🤞🤞

After work check.
All the Galaxies are well and acting normal. I've spent a good bit of time in their coop, hanging out with them. I love watching them. They are so funny, so daring!!! They are losing a lot of their down feathers and are starting to look kinda bare 😳. Yet, the coop temp is 50 degrees. There is a slight breeze coming in from the screen door. (Top half not bottom) the outside temp is 46. The Galaxies aren't minding it. Some are sleeping on top of the rug that's on the heat boards, some are under. Some are coming and going while others are just out and about.

Threw a new chunk of dirt and clover in for them. There was a feast lol. The Galaxies didn't take long this time to head over to it and start to gobble it up!!

Watched as one of the Galaxies dust bathed while another picked bits off of it. They seem to have a nice little friendship going 😆

The Galaxies are seeming to want to sleep on the outskirts of the heat boards. I am ok with it as I am letting them self regulate. 🙂

Turned the boards off for a little bit. I did a health check on everyone, just to check them over mainly. The Galaxies all seem perfectly perfect. 🥰

Boards went back on after the check!

644pm I'd say the time change has confused the Galaxies. They are all tucked in and it's still completely bright out. I am leaving the coop door open until the sun goes down so hopefully they'll realize there are longer days ahead!! 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Outside temp is 43. Coop temp 50 degrees.

Side note*
Also, i believe I see red wattles showing up on this one!!! Fingers crossed!!!

Attachments

• 20230312_122657.jpg
    20230312_122657.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230312_155938.jpg
    20230312_155938.jpg
    790.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230312_162316.jpg
    20230312_162316.jpg
    829.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230312_162031.jpg
    20230312_162031.jpg
    750.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230312_154553.jpg
    20230312_154553.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230312_164219.jpg
    20230312_164219.jpg
    716 KB · Views: 7
March 12th. The Galaxies all came out to greet me on this pretty fridged morning. Coop temp 40 degrees. Outside temp 32 degrees. Left the lights on for them.

Oye!! Didn't make it home for a lunch check. After work check, all Galaxies are doing well. Temp in the coop is like 39 degrees and most were in there cave when i came home. Temp outside is 35 degrees.

Went back and checked on the Galaxies coop temp is the same. They are ALL running around! 😆 I'll let them be till bed time tonight.

Bedtime was just as expected. They are all tucked up under their boards. Coop temp 39 degrees. It will be as low as 27 tonight.

Back
Top Bottom