Raising the runt

I'm having the same issue with my runt. I found her last night at 3 AM on her back with her sisters on top of her I slept with her in the recliner till runrise. I gave her a few drops of sugar water and tried to feed her a mash of hard boiled eggs, her chick starter, and sugar water. She wouldnt touch it nor would she touch her normal food. She stood in the brooder screaming her head off. So I took her out and wrapped her in the blanket we slept in. This is my first batch of chicks and I am so scared I'm going to lose her. She is my sweetest baby, I've already gotten attached in the four days they've been home.

Hello..It might actually need more heat..Can you set it up to where it's a bit warmer for that chick but so the others can get out of the heat. Cold chicks don't move around much..Best wishes..

They are in a very large brooder with a red heat lamp. The lamp is somewhat center of the brooder at 18" as recommended by the hatchery.
She is not standing under the light like she's looking for warmth..
I had tried bringing it down a bit for a different chick a few days back and they got too hot and really moved away.

I'm having the same issue with my runt. I found her last night at 3 AM on her back with her sisters on top of her I slept with her in the recliner till runrise. I gave her a few drops of sugar water and tried to feed her a mash of hard boiled eggs, her chick starter, and sugar water. She wouldnt touch it nor would she touch her normal food. She stood in the brooder screaming her head off. So I took her out and wrapped her in the blanket we slept in. This is my first batch of chicks and I am so scared I'm going to lose her. She is my sweetest baby, I've already gotten attached in the four days they've been home.
Ugh. I hear you! I just can't lose another one.
Mine is quiet and is at least occasionally eating and drinking. I'm just so worried.

They are in a very large brooder with a red heat lamp. The lamp is somewhat center of the brooder at 18" as recommended by the hatchery.
She is not standing under the light like she's looking for warmth..
I had tried bringing it down a bit for a different chick a few days back and they got too hot and really moved away.
Well, that's my only thoughts other than it's just failing to thrive?..Just keep an eye on the little one

Back
Top Bottom