Raising then selling chicks

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
So I absolutely love chick babies. ❤️ Obviously due to space I can’t continually have little ones in my house and move them outside!

Has anyone successfully had small hatching orders or bought specific chicks and raised them to 4-6 weeks old for people? I was thinking to take a $5 per chick deposit, and then they pay a second $5 once they reach 4-6 weeks and are ready to be picked up & can easily go outside. (Obviously more rare breeds would cost more. I can get eggs for $1.50 each if people wanted straight run chicks, or chicks for about $4 locally). They are pure breeds not barnyard mixes.

Thought this could be a fun way to have babies regularly without the worry of whether or not I can find a buyer. Do you think people would be interested? After next year, we will only be adding to our flock sparingly to replace birds that pass on, and I know I will miss having the little ones around! Thanks for any input or help!

I've raised chicks for multiple chicken-owners before. I knew them well, so I trusted them to pay once I gave them the started chicks.

For customers you don't really know, it's probably best to do a "prepay", as you said.
Are you in an area where lots of people own chickens? I think you'll have good luck!

Good luck ❤️
There are lots of coops in yards around us! Not hundreds, but enough! Ideas on how to advertise the service? Or maybe just Craigslist?

So I absolutely love chick babies. ❤️ Obviously due to space I can’t continually have little ones in my house and move them outside!

Has anyone successfully had small hatching orders or bought specific chicks and raised them to 4-6 weeks old for people? I was thinking to take a $5 per chick deposit, and then they pay a second $5 once they reach 4-6 weeks and are ready to be picked up & can easily go outside. (Obviously more rare breeds would cost more. I can get eggs for $1.50 each if people wanted straight run chicks, or chicks for about $4 locally). They are pure breeds not barnyard mixes.

Thought this could be a fun way to have babies regularly without the worry of whether or not I can find a buyer. Do you think people would be interested? After next year, we will only be adding to our flock sparingly to replace birds that pass on, and I know I will miss having the little ones around! Thanks for any input or help!
You should d make the costumer pay full price, Specifically because you never know what each costumer is like. If they die than you could give them the 5$ refund.

I can offer barred rock, Australorp, buff Orpington, leghorn, gold & silver Wyandotte, California white, black jersey giant, Production Red & Delaware. (Pullet chicks I can buy locally for about $4)

For hatching eggs I have access to the same plus pure Ameraucanas & Olive Eggers which I think I would charge more for.

Make sure you get people to pay you upfront or at least a nonrefundable deposit. I’ve been burned several times from people who have asked for chicks and then changed their minds. I would also charge a dollar a week per chick from hatch onward to keep them for as long as the customer wants you to keep them. This would cover the cost of feed and electricity for the heat source.😊

Back
Top Bottom