Raising turkeys togheter with geese

This has been my experience this year as well.

Yes, when i toss feed out the geese will generally try to corner it, but everyone eventually gets fed. I've taken to looking at the geese as the mafia of the yard. They run a protection racket and the method of payment is first dibs on the feed. No one hurts each other, though. Really it's just a lot of running around to make sure no one else had a better pile of food - but I've seen that with just the chickens, too. Seems more like a bird thing than anything.

That's the geese and turkeys, the ducks have totally suckered me. They stand at my feet and look up expectantly, not even going for the tossed out feed.... so I hand feed them. It's embarrassing but what can I say, I'm weak.
Same here but I look at that as a possible problem in the making. My geese will grab the feathers of the chickens, and try to chase off the turkeys. I would never consider feeding geese out of my hands. It will send the wrong message to them.

hmm.png

You have the wrong breeds of geese than.
My turkeys are really good with the geese, ducks and chickens. The turkeys pick on the roosters, but the ducks and geese get along very well with the turkeys!
Embdens, Toulouse and one Chinese are what I have. They are very well mannered geese but they are territorial when it comes to their grazing or food. If any chickens or turkeys come into their area, they will defend it or at least try. The ducks are pretty much a non issue as they try to get along with everyone and if they can't they move on. But as I said before, there will be issues with feeding territory, if you can handle it then go for it. When it comes to seriouse wing slapping, I draw the line.

Embdens, Toulouse and one Chinese are what I have.  They are very well mannered geese but they are territorial when it comes to their grazing or food.  If any chickens or turkeys come into their area, they will defend it or at least try.  The ducks are pretty much a non issue as they try to get along with everyone and if they can't they move on.  But as I said before, there will be issues with feeding territory, if you can handle it then go for it.  When it comes to seriouse wing slapping, I draw the line.
Are your toulouse dewlaps or production? I think there are personality differences among the two, but am not quite sure.

Here are my geese and turkeys this weekend.

Chickens & geese getting along.

Turkeys get along great with silkies.

Maybe I'm just lucky? Must be the minority. :confused:

Maybe I'm just lucky? Must be the minority.
hu.gif
I don't think you are. Mine do get a bit fiesty but there's no wing slapping or any real dangerous feather pulling or harm done. My geese just get all long necked and hiss occasionally and the turkeys back off, until the hens have had enough then it's a single peck back and the geese all go to another pile. The turkeys occasionally herd the chickens away, but again, not seriously. I've had 20 or so birds of different sharing the property for 6 months and the only real damage has been done by raccoons. Bastages.

But the real question here is:

How did you end up with the Gary Oldman Chicken?

Are your toulouse dewlaps or production? I think there are personality differences among the two, but am not quite sure.

Here are my geese and turkeys this weekend.

Chickens & geese getting along.

Turkeys get along great with silkies.
Maybe I'm just lucky? Must be the minority.
hu.gif
I believe just plain old production. Right now they are breeding. I guess they didn't get the memo that supposed to wait until spring.

I believe just plain old production.  Right now they are breeding.  I guess they didn't get the memo that supposed to wait until spring.
Practice makes perfect ;)

I don't think you are.  Mine do get a bit fiesty but there's no wing slapping or any real dangerous feather pulling or harm done.  My geese just get all long necked and hiss occasionally and the turkeys back off, until the hens have had enough then it's a single peck back and the geese all go to another pile.  The turkeys occasionally herd the chickens away, but again, not seriously.  I've had 20 or so birds of different sharing the property for 6 months and the only real damage has been done by raccoons.  Bastages.

But the real question here is:

How did you end up with the Gary Oldman Chicken?

:gig

I always thought she looked like Spock, so we call her Spock, as well as her sister look-alike. Though other people mentioned she looks like Hitler :lol:

She does look like Gary Oldman though! You're right :)

Practice makes perfect
wink.png

gig.gif

I always thought she looked like Spock, so we call her Spock, as well as her sister look-alike. Though other people mentioned she looks like Hitler
lol.png

She does look like Gary Oldman though! You're right
smile.png
LOL!!!! I never thought of it that way! Practise makes perfect <snort> yeah.

Dewlap toulouse are much more calm and docile from what I have read. My American Buffs are much more docile than other geese I have seen. They don't bother the chickens or ducks except for the randy drake. My gander will warn first and then "remind" the drake, who owns the goose. My gander will also back the rooster off. The rooster thinks he should be top dog. Other than that our birds get along fine.

I am also interested in trying turkeys next year. I had also wondered about ranging them together. I will have to check on blackhead more before I get them. Very interesting thread!

My American Buffs are much more docile than other geese I have seen.

I have American Buffs as well. I don't know how docile they are compared to other geese, I DO know that mine seem to be a bit... brazen. One of them went after my dog the other day. I was letting her in the house and one of the geese just walked up (yes, walked. Slowly, calmly, deliberately) grabbed some of the skin on the dogs neck to hold on to and proceeded to try to beat the crap out of her with its wings. And, mind you, I don't have a small dog - she's a 65 pound border collie/pit bull mix.

That said, again, they just want first dibs on the food, they don't seem to really go after the other birds around the yard and everyone gets fed eventually. Apparently they just hate the dog.

Back
Top Bottom