raising turkeys

Trey, did you not see where I raise mine free ranged until those last 2 weeks. Yes I agree it is not the most ideal way. But its a whole lot better than having birds that cannot walk because they get too fat. Or buying birds from the corporate bullies that load them with antibiotics, and inject the meat with god only knows what. My version of their pen is 3ft x 3ft like I said eat, sleep, and stand.

I like to pen mine in a very small space , as in can stand and eat and drink only the last 2 weeks. Other than that mine are out free ranging. I feed a 75/25 % ratio of corn and pellets those last 2 weeks too. Just so happens had me some turkey enchiladas for supper tonight!! Yummy

is that how you raise hens and turkeys you eat??
hmm.png
idunno.gif

that seems kinda like a corporate thing and cruel.
that is just my opinion

We got 2 turkeys last Easter. One's name was Thanksgiving and one was named Christmas. We had never raised our own THX giving turkey before so we were total novices. After my husband and kids figured out how to "put her down" Thxgiving we hung her upside down for like an hr or so. Then cleaned her etc. I refrigerated her 24 hrs. and then dressed her w/ butter for 24 hrs. (I took her to the local grocery store to have her weighed...24lbs!!!!) Put her in the electric roaster at 325, no popper timer to pop up so I think I remember about 6 hrs. It was absolutly hands down the BEST turkey ever! Then we took a trip to Disneyland befor xmas and they have a couple of pet turkeys in Frontierland. It was so cool the way their pen was, etc. well needless to say Christmas got a new name Turkey lurkey and we appreciate the eggs she gives us almost every day. She's growing that little thing above her beak too, the one's at Disneyland were really long.

How old does a turkey need to be before you can eat it? My turkeys are around 3 or 4 months old and are begginning to be big bullies to my chickens:-( I was wanting to wait untill November so they would be nice and big but I don't know if we will be able to wait.

I'd go off of size. my Toms are about 3 months old and the big one (Sue & Clays Turkey diner) is over 20 pounds. "My turkey diner" and "holiday yet to be decided" are about 12-15 pounds each. So my feelings on the subject are grow them until their big enough to provide you with all the left overs you can stand.

Back
Top Bottom