Raising your own live feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cybercat, Sep 15, 2010.

1. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    I have been pushing this one around since we lost our feed stores. We still have our local feed mill and I am thinking of having them mix a forumula for me. But I want something in the winter animal protien wise to feed with it. So raising my own live feed seems the way to go. What I need to know is what everyone is raising and how it is working for them.

Besides the big ones like mealworms, roches and redworms what else is there? I am thinking maybe crickets or even feeder fish but do not know if that would work. I raise mice for my snakes but my chickens to do seem to real do much there with the ones live outside. Then again I am not watching the hens 24 and 7 while they forage.

I would like to hear from anyone that has or is raising there own live feed. Pros and cons.

2. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    I harvest Venison as a source of winter protein.. A lot more meat on a deer than on a mealworm..[​IMG]

So many hunters hunt for the sake of hunting and a trophy but really do not care for the meat. One can put the word out to people wanting to clean out their freezers and get lots of meat that way... Grind it and freeze it in the appropriate size servings and off to the races!

I do like the idea of feeder fish, I remember a discussion on it not to long ago...

ON

3. johny

johny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    In Ontario, feeding venison to chickens falls under a law forbidding waste of game meat that is fit for human consumption.
    It is definitely illegal.

4. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:I feed the scrap and trimmings to the chickens.. Not the yummy parts...
    Anyone who has ever processed an animal knows how much waste there is.

ON

5. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:Wow! Now venison never crossed my mind. Thanks for the idea.

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

Yeah, I remember giving our venison waste to the chickens growing up. Why waste it? I've been thinking about raising tilapia for the family and the chickens. It would be very easy in our Southern AZ climate.

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

frogs?

8. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:Becareful with frogs. They can carry salmonella which can be passed onto your chickens!

9. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    You can raise black soldier fly larvae, I just started a week ago and the project is going great. Try www.blacksoldierflyblog.com for more info.

Also, I used to breed convict cichlids before. All you need is a male and a female, and they breed every month and make excellent parents. The young take a good 6 months to get a good size so I don't know if it would be worth-while.

10. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I've gotten very good at growing these guys. [​IMG] This is just a small portion of what I harvest daily:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by