Ramp needed?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shakecc, Sep 2, 2008.

1. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    Do you have to have a ramp from the coop into the run? Because he have not figured out how to make it yet and were doing some consulting out chickens have been jumping through the hen door down into the run and vice versa. From the coop into the door is about a foot and down into the coop is about 2 ft. I am beginnning to wonder if we even need a ramp. Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I've been wondering the same thing. I put a ramp on ours and everyone stands to the side of it and hops over top of it to get into the coop!

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Mine like having a stepstool to get back into their tractor 'house' (pophole is about 18" above the ground) -- but they CAN get in if they HAVE to without the stepstool. If the pophole were wider (I think it is like 10" wide??) they might be more willing to hop up on their own - as it is, it provides no flapping room at the top of the hop and they do seem to use their wings somewhat.

Dunno if that helps,

Pat

4. funkychickenowner

funkychickenowner Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    Sussex County NJ
    All you really need is a 2x8 as long as you need it with some 1/2"x1/2" slats stapeled to it for treads a 2x6 would probably be ok too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by