Ramshackle Coop (LF feedback/suggestions!)

Fritzen

Chirping
Mar 7, 2021
Florida
Here’s the coop me and my dad made! I don’t have the measurements on hand, but the coop is about 3x5ft and the run is 8ft^2 I think!

does anyone have any suggestions on what we could fix up or do better in the future?
(Don’t worry about the wood rotting— my dad made sure to coat it all!)
6EE1E807-5E77-4827-9C39-6A79A81E79A7.jpeg

There’s even a back door attached to the coop itself (with three latches) to make it easier to clean the inside!

the smaller cage in there is so that the smaller girls can have shelter from the larger ones while they learn to coexist. :)

does anyone have any suggestions on what we could fix up or do better in the future
I think you did a good job. Can you get pictures of the other side?

One BIG thing... the chicken wire on the run enclosure. It won't stop a predator. It will keep chickens in, but not keep, for example, a raccoon out. Raccoons can just tear through it. Can you put some hardware cloth or more sturdy fencing at least part way up the sides?

It looks like you made the coop from leftover/found pieces of wood, and I truly mean that as a compliment! Lumber prices are INSANE now, so using odd pieces and not buying new is a HUGE plus, in my book.

Looks great

I agree with the need for something added to the chicken wire, like hardware cloth 2-3ft high along the bottom. I’ve never seen animals break it personally, but have seen what happens when a raccoon can reach through fencing with large enough holes for their hands to grab a chicken

My only comment is to keep an eye on wood sagging on your run since it’s made of thin material with few supports. I would likely beef them up now with a couple sticks here and there, but that can always be braced down the road too

also looks like dad screwed it into the side of the house - if those made it past the stucco I’d make sure those got sealed from water intrusion. They also look like black drywall screws, which don’t last outdoors

Can you put some hardware cloth or more sturdy fencing at least part way up the sides?
hardware cloth 2-3ft high along the bottom.
I'll definitely do this ASAP!

I would likely beef them up now with a couple sticks here and there, but that can always be braced down the road too
We'll be adding supports to the ramp later this week, I'm glad you pointed that out!

Are there vents we can't see on the other sides?
Not yet, but my dad is going to be making some very soon!

Thank you all for your kind words!!!

Not yet, but my dad is going to be making some very soon!

The best vents are high up at the roofline because heat and ammonia both rise.

Honestly, since you're in Florida you might also want to take the siding entirely off one wall and replace it with hardware cloth. Heat is more dangerous to chickens than cold and Open Air style coops are particularly well-suited for chickens in hot, humid climate.

My rule of thumb is that if I go in it on a warm, sunny day and it's hotter in than out I need more ventilation. :)

Back
Top Bottom