Ran out of feed, no transportaion for days, what should I feed them???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby_Chick

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 1, 2009
A little town in northern NH
I just put the last of my 5 week old NH Red Hen's feed into their feeder today mixed in with the last of some quick oats I had laying around to try to make it stretch. I don't have access to any transportation for about 4 more days at most.

I do live in a small town (I'm in the country) so technically I could walk to the feed store but that's a good mile and a half to three miles roughly, and the fact that I live in the northern region of New Hampshire (you know, mountains and huge hills everywhere) that doesn't help much.

What are some things that I could feed my chicks for the next few days (preferrably without going to a store) that will ensure that they don't drop dead on me???? Oh yeah I have 5 chickens... Thanks in advance!!!

You can feed them ANYTHING, but as far as reaching anytype of nutritional value, I dont think you will do too good, I would start walking.
woot.gif

I am sure they could survive on bread and water, but they wont be happy, the best of us have had to survive on that at times, or was it just me that WAS forced into that cell?
idunno.gif
th.gif

Last edited:
If I was you and had the time, I would pull a coaster wagon to the feed store and buy some feed.
OR...
Give the feed store a call. If you are only a couple miles away I would think that someone could deliver a bag or two. Tip them well
wink.png

FEED STORE DEFINETLY..YOU DONT WANT TO RISK THEIR HEALTH..CALL THEM AND SEE MAYBE THEY WOULD DELIVER IN AN EMERGENCY ESP.SINCE IT IS SMALL TOWN...OR DO U HAVE FRIENDS OR FAMILY ...NEIGHBOR THAT COULD HELP U OUT? fRUITS, VEGGIES..WORMS,LEFTOVERS AS LONG AS NOT SPOILED, BREAD , THERES A TREAT CHART ON HERE SOMEWHERES...GOOD LUCK!! I WOULD BRING IT TO U IF U WERE MY NEIGHBOR!

Quote:
Ok, we hear ya. Turn off your caps lock... you're yelling
lol.png

I am kind of new to talking on the computer, when you type in caps it means you are yelling???
idunno.gif
hu.gif
idunno.gif
hu.gif

Quote:
YES!! just kidding. I was just pointing it out to you. Welcome to the world of internet forums. Just wait until you learn all of the shorthand (???) like lmao, omg, and bff. It's a whole new world.

Do you have a friend/neighbor who might be able to give you enough feed until you can get to the store? Or give you a drive, or pick up feed for you? Very important for chicks nutritionally.

Quote:
errg, I don't like long trips... and my agway (feed store) only sells big bags of feed and I don't have a wagon... I do have a bike here but last time I tried to ride to the store I fell twice and scraped up my left hand and right elbow area pretty badly, they are almost all healed but I don't want to go down their again until I get my rear break fixed (I have a mountain bike) I have long grain rice and pasta here umm as well as canned fruits and veggies... would that be nutritional enough just for a few days???

Quote:
I just moved to town about 2-3 months ago so I don't know very many people here and family and friends are out of town, I had to stay to take care of my chickens and the basset hound of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom