Ran out of food!!!

Chicky91

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 7, 2014
I ran out of feed and have no time today to get any is there anything I can feed them to substitute a meal?

You can feed them a load of stuff from your kitchen. Green vegetables are great. You can even feed them meat and food you have cooked but avoid it if it has a lot of salt or toppings like salad dressing, etc. Do they have access to soil with little rocks since they will need them to process the food. Also, how old are they? Full grown chickens can eat quite a bit. Find some slugs and worms around the garden and feed them to them.

You can feed them a load of stuff from your kitchen. Green vegetables are great. You can even feed them meat and food you have cooked but avoid it if it has a lot of salt or toppings like salad dressing, etc. Do they have access to soil with little rocks since they will need them to process the food. Also, how old are they? Full grown chickens can eat quite a bit. Find some slugs and worms around the garden and feed them to them.
They are over a year old about 14 months. I have corn apples plenty of worms in my yard i also have carrots potatoes oatmeal

Have any birdseed ? They think this is a special treat. How about stale bread ?
My girls used to fight over this.
What about a box of cereal with no sugar - cheerios, corn flakes, etc.
What do you have in the freezer - any frozen veggies ? Corn, beans etc ? Thaw in the microwave and toss them to the girls.
Emergency food for chickens is just about anything - give it a try see how they respond.
Do you ever make soup from scratch ? The dry ingredients - peas , legumes etc from packaged soup mix are all good for birds
Is the grass up yet where you live ?
throw handfuls of fresh picked greens to your girls. Especially if they are penned and have eaten all available greenery.

I suppose the day has come and gone and you have survived your food shortage along with your birds. The suggestions noted above should have helped you through this trial, but if nothing else your birds can go without a meal, if they need to. Water they must have at all times however, no excuse to ever run them short of clear, clean water, and all they can drink.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

I'm curious of the outcome, too.

In the interest of others that might one day read this thread, I will add my two cents: "chickens will eat almost anything." Therefore, I don't think I'd sweat it too much...especially if they are full sized chickens (chicks require a lil more care, but those boogers can be hardy, too).

So, check your fridge and pantry...I'm sure you've got something that will tide them over for just one day. For some reason, the image of a can of whole kernal corn and cereal is stuck in my brain (I might even rinse off some of the salt brine).

Back
Top Bottom