Random death and glaucoma

TheFaltyFarm

Hatching
Apr 3, 2023
Hello! A week ago I found an ISA brown, about 6 months old, dead in the coop. She showed no signs of illness or aliment both pre and post mortem. Today I found a black Jersey giant of the same age also dead in the coop. She had previously prolapsed but seemed to be healing nicely. She laid an egg yesterday but after that seemed lethargic. Everyone else in the coop seems 100% fine with no signs of diarrhea, lethargy, ruffled feathers, etc. However, today I noticed that one ISA seems to have glaucoma. Also, egg production is down about by about 6 eggs.

Do you feel the two recent deaths and glaucoma are just a normal part of poultry raising or should I be worried about something else? Their coop is cleaned out weekly, they are on good quality food, always have fresh water, and get plenty of exercise. I try to provide my girls with the best love and care a chicken could hope for. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Could you take a picture of the eye with glaucoma? Did you notice this in the JG & other ISA? Did the two that pass show any signs of illness?
Taking a picture of a chickens eye is harder than you’d think, so I apologize for it not being in great focus. I didn’t notice it in the other two that died, and the ISA seemed healthy. The BJG seemed a little more lethargic yesterday but no other symptoms. I am currently in my coop right now and have noticed 3 buffs with what I’m calling glaucoma.

Attachments

• 9137889F-BC15-4F71-BA9B-07ED8E724EDC.jpeg
    9137889F-BC15-4F71-BA9B-07ED8E724EDC.jpeg
    438.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom