Random feed store chicks...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chesterchook, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Chesterchook

Chesterchook Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Our random 6 chicks from the feed store, we're thinking photo #3 may be a speckled sussex, has the same calm disposition of our hatchery sussex.

2. Panth

Panth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    no idea...but the black and white one is a cockeral

3. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington

4. Chesterchook

thanks for the input allmychickens, hadn't thought to think of leghorns. What's the difference between RIR, New Hampshire Red, and Production Reds? ( and any other reds that closely resemble those)

5. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    Rhode Island red is a medium sized dark red duel purpose bird
    Features: YEllow legs, red earlobes, single comb

Rhode Island reds were used in the breeding of New hampshires but new hampshires are lighter redish orange
    features: Yellow legs, red earlobes, single comb

MAIN DIFFERENCE: color

A production red is just a red colored hatchery bird that doesnt conform to any breed standard as it was bred for egg production instead of looks, resembling both RIR and new hampshire

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  6. Chesterchook

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    About 12 weeks old now, still not 100% sure what this one is. Would a leghorn have a more developed comb by now? What distinguishes an exchequer leghorn from an ancona?

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    In my opinion, you have a Exchequer Leghorn roo. Anconas are supposed to have even mottled coloration all over it's body (kind of like checkers). Unless your bird has trainwreck coloration, it's not an Ancona.

Exchequers have more a splashy, fireworks kind of pattern to them, But honestly, your bird doesn't have good body conformation for either breed. It appears very heavy, where both breeds should be light-framed.

8. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I can't tell my Exchequer Leghorns and Anconas apart, lol.

9. Chesterchook

That had occurred to me as well, he's a big boy and seems to be still growing. The other two that we're pretty sure are silver leghorn hens are definitely lighter framed like I've read is typical of the breed.

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    You know, I'm becoming convinced that he's a Java.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by