Random Female Turkey Aggression

Asewall

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2022
My female white breasted turkey is now about 8-9 months. Have had since hatchlings. This particular one has been my favorite, very friendly and social. Randomly the past week has been attacking me everytime I go near them. It is only her and another female. Her littermate then pecks at her when she’s pecking at me. They are blood sexed, so definitely female. I’ve heard mating season is starting in March so could that be why? She also is not sleeping with her friend in the normal spot they both sleep, up off the ground. She’s sleeping in a makeshift nesting box alone every night. They have a lot of space and I give them fresh veggies and treats daily. I’m just hoping this will pass but it seems to be escalating. Any advice?

My female white breasted turkey is now about 8-9 months. Have had since hatchlings. This particular one has been my favorite, very friendly and social. Randomly the past week has been attacking me every time I go near them. It is only her and another female. Her littermate then pecks at her when she’s pecking at me. They are blood sexed, so definitely female. I’ve heard mating season is starting in March so could that be why? She also is not sleeping with her friend in the normal spot they both sleep, up off the ground. She’s sleeping in a makeshift nesting box alone every night. They have a lot of space and I give them fresh veggies and treats daily. I’m just hoping this will pass but it seems to be escalating. Any advice?
It is breeding season. Your hen turkeys will be aggressive to each other and to anyone they consider to be a turkey. Imprinting causes turkeys to not be able to understand that the species they were imprinted by are not turkeys.

What seems like a lot of space to you may or may not be a lot of space to them.

BTW, there is no such thing as a "White Breasted" turkey. You most likely have Broad Breasted White turkeys which were developed to be harvested by the time they are 6 months old.

It is breeding season. Your hen turkeys will be aggressive to each other and to anyone they consider to be a turkey. Imprinting causes turkeys to not be able to understand that the species they were imprinted by are not turkeys.

BTW, there is no such thing as a "White Breasted" turkey. You most likely have Broad Breasted White turkeys which were developed to be harvested by the time they are 6 months old.

Well they are free range mostly so they do have a lot of room. And I know they are meat birds that’s why I got them so they wouldn’t be used as such. Thanks.

treats daily.
Not sure what you are giving as treats daily but as you already stated they are meat birds and gain weight very fast and are known for leg and other health issues. So, feeding them correctly/carefully will help with those issues and can help extend a longer healthier lifespan but even that is no guarantee. Free range and exercise will also help.

Well they are free range mostly so they do have a lot of room. And I know they are meat birds that’s why I got them so they wouldn’t be used as such. Thanks.
My neighbor kept a meat bird as a pet -- a broad breasted bronze. It weighed 80lbs when it died of a heart attack at age 3. It was a sweet bird. Just saying so you know what you are getting yourself in for: lots of feed, lots of poop, and likely and early death from physiological issues. Like Huntmaster said, there may be some special dietary steps you can take to help the birds be happier and healthier.

Back
Top Bottom