Random First Egg or is this the beginning???

jenmiller

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 4, 2011
Kentucky
So today i went to go feed my chickens and there it was, the most wondeful thing ive ever seen come from my Chickens.... one single egg. It was white and when i brought it to show my father-in-law he said to me it was bad. When you shook it, the thing sloshed around and didnt sound like the store bought egg that i compared it to. So we decided it was rotten....we took it outside and cracked it open and what else do i see but a perfectly good chicken yolk and white stuff. Why did it Slosh around and is this the beginning of a egg laying era or did i just get lucky??

Maybe because it was fresh and the store bought ones are not, I'm not sure
hmm.png

Congrats on your first egg though
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
float test? what in the world is that??? i didnt necessarily want to crack it b/c i was waiting for my husband to get done work but i figured since someone who raised 900 chickens at one point would know so i figured the smell would gag him since he has a really weak belly. Guess i was wrong. I wonder if this egg laying is from me mixing thier food with chick starter. Guess we will find out when i go back to feed them??

Quote:
float test? what in the world is that??? i didnt necessarily want to crack it b/c i was waiting for my husband to get done work but i figured since someone who raised 900 chickens at one point would know so i figured the smell would gag him since he has a really weak belly. Guess i was wrong. I wonder if this egg laying is from me mixing thier food with chick starter. Guess we will find out when i go back to feed them??

The float test will tell you if it is good or bad:

Gently drop the egg into the bowl of water. If it sinks and stay at the bottom it is fresh...floats it is bad...stands on end but still on the bottom it is still good but eat it in the next couple of weeks.

The chick starter won't hurt them... now giving them Layer feed when they aren't laying yet could be bad...not always but the calcium and stuff in the layer is really hard for their kidneys to process before they start laying.

Last edited:
ok so now my question is do we thing that it was a random first egg or is this the beginning, considering what i have added to their food and will it increase when i give them laying mash??

Sounds like a fart egg to me? Was the shell hard or soft? If it was soft then you had a shell less egg which is very normal when chickens first start laying.

Back
Top Bottom