Random question about being "humane"....

If you have access to CO2, like they use for soda pop machines, that's what my vet recommended. But not everyone has that handy. Another way might be just to freeze them, they pretty much just go to sleep.
I have no idea what would hurt more, if any at all, having my head chopped off, drowning or freezing. I guess it's whatever we can stand to do.
I usually just give this job to my husband or just let nature take it's course. That's the easiest for me.

Quote:
I'm a little more *hardline* than you.

I AM attacking this practise. It is more than possible that innocent people genuinely believe it to be humane.

Well you have just been told it isn't, so now there is no excuse. Quit doing it
smile.png

Oh, I am certainly attacking the practice. That was why I posted as I did. I am not, however, attacking people who have chosen this method, simply because in many cases, as you yourself said, they are innocent people who genuinly believe it to be humane.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Glad we are on the same page ... now what we need are a whole bunch of equally shocked members to chime in, in support.

Support both of this stance, and support for the people who need help finding humane methods.

Culling is an unfortunate aspect of keeping poultry, but at times it is as necessary as clean food and water .... let's all help folk do it right, and feel good about doing it right
smile.png

I have had to do this recently. I used dry ice. I put the dry ice in a small bowl, put that and the chick in a larger bowl. Added water to the dry ice and put a lid on the big bowl. The chick died in minutes with no struggling.

I agree with Katy...I use engine starter fluid. Spray it real good on paper towel and place in a plastic container. Puts em right out. I use this on any sick adults that I have to put down. I just could not use scissors. Whatever the method, it is always sad and painful.
sad.png

Best to all
ray

I've not been in this situation yet. Hopefully I will never have to do this, but if I do ever need to cull a chick I'll probably take the starter fluid route. I don't think I could snap or cut a neck.

Like I said, I grew up hunting and fishing, and I know the quickest way for us was to either go to the 'ol chopping block or to wring its neck in the field. I think the hardest thing would be having to cull a newly hatched chick, since it's so little and helpless and I know that even as a hunter I don't want the animals to suffer. Something quick and as painless as possible. I think I would have to go with the shears method, if I ever have to face that problem. Other than that, with older birds, it'll definately be the chopping block. Thanks for your input, everyone!!!!!!

Christina

penny you can make CO2 simply by mixing baking soda and vinegar. or go to a paint ball supply store and get it there. but for crying out loud folks do it outside and not in a closed room. You dont want to put the whole family down. Anyways i have used this method several times successfully to kill feeder rats for my snakes. It is in my eyess the best method to kill a chick. But back on the farm we killed the ckicken that where ment for dinner by chopping block and axe.Anything but freezing and drowning, freezing/ cooling is only done with sick fish and dying reptiles.

More power to all of you for being able to do this on your own. If the situation ever arises on my end, I will have to find someone else to dispatch of them. I just couldn't do it. I can't even step on a spider (can't stand the crunch!), let alone kill one of my babies
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom