Random Question about.... Butterflies :)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jettgirl24, Jul 7, 2011.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Yesterday evening I went out to visit with the horses and I noticed a gorgeous butterfly drowning in the water trough. Luckily it was still alive and I rescued it. I brought it up and put it on the branches of a tree up near the house thinking that when it dried off and rested up it would fly off. I just checked a few minutes ago thinking it would be gone but it's still there [​IMG]

I'm wondering it I should do something to help it on it's way? It's one of the most beautiful ones I've seen around here so I really want to help it survive. I made a DIY sugar water feeder and hung it near the tree but I don't think it has made it's way over there. Anyone have some advice?

Also, does anyone know what kind of butterfly it is? Here's a picture, it's about 4 inches across at the top of the wings. Absolutely beautiful, especially the tail part of it's wings [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I am going to take a guess and say tiger swallowtail. I have them swarm my mimosa tree when it blooms.

3. folgerrd

folgerrd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Canada
    Butterflies have a special solution on their wings that allows them to fly, the water may have gotten on the wings. If so she will probably... die. but on the slight chance the wings are finr, whatever you do dont touch her wings!!!!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  4. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Boo, I hope she doesn't die [​IMG] I haven't been out this morning to see if she's still there but I will go check.

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    It does look somewhat like a Tiger Swallowtail but the colors aren't right - perhaps that is from the time in the water...

6. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
  7. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    The margin of black is much narrower in the Pale than in this one. I think it's a Tiger.

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Zebra Swallowtail. As larvae feeds on leaves of paw-paw tree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by