Random rumpless gene?

nikirushka

Songster
6 Years
Dec 2, 2014
I have a barnevelder who appears to be rumpless! Just been having a quick read about and I see that this can be accidental or possibly a random mutation. As I can't find any reference to rumpless barnevelders anywhere I'm guessing that's likely to be the case here?

I didn't see her parents, she was hatched from a batch of mixed coloured eggs. So it's possible that she's a cross but her markings are pretty good, if she is. Thoughts? She is 14 weeks old. First pic at 7 weeks, second 13 weeks and last two taken just now.

20180428_185314.jpg

kismet13.jpg
kismet14.jpg
kismet141.jpg

I'll add that she'll not be bred from, in case that bothers any breed enthusiasts! No roosters here.

No, I'm not into breeding. I'll hatch eggs of breeds or crosses that I want for my own flock but that's it.

Anyone any thoughts on my girlie?

The Rumpless Gene pops up in all breeds... It appears she has some tail feathers so she mush have a little patch of rump.

There are a couple of breeds that were bred for that quality.

Auracanas... south american first blue egg layers

Rumpless Game fowl a British breed.

https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/manx

I love the look...

They are difficult to breed because of the lack of the coccyx or popes nose from which the tail feathers grow. This is used in copulation...

deb

Thanks for that Deb, interesting stuff! I find the look a bit odd personally, but she's still gorgeous :)

It is also completely typical of my animals that I would manage to get hold of the breed I wanted through complete and utter chance (I went for legbar chicks and spotted her, the lady didn't know what Kismet was), and end up with a rumpless one!

Back
Top Bottom