Randy Roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ErikaSmit, Mar 14, 2012.

1. ErikaSmit

ErikaSmit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Schererville, IN
    So I have this light brahma rooster who is pretty big. He mounts, or tries to, pretty much any or all of them. But there is one hen who is probably always been the naughtiest one who he picks on the most. It's gotten to the point where he's pulling out huge amounts of feathers. She's missing almost all her neck feathers and a lot on her back too. Is this one of those, let nature take its course things? Or should he be removed?

2. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    that's his favorite, she takes it for the team!!!!!! i would seperate her for awhile if she's missing almost all her neck feathers.... i usually leave them alone if they're missing a few feathers... but it sounds like it's out of control..... seperate, let her heal up........ if it continues you might need a new rooster, one with a little more gentleness in the love department!!!!!! some roo's just like it ruff and need to be seperated or culled....

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'd leave her and separate him. If you want fertile eggs, conjugal visits every 3 or 4 days will provide fertile eggs. Hens come first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by