Range of Symptoms That I Can't Figure Out

Yeah, I could not really see anything on the pictures except to say that she looks a bit miserable.

I am hoping that the answer will be obvious when checking out her open beak.

If you can, I recommend early morning, before it gets light and with a torch? She may be easier to inspect at night time or early morning as that is when they do not move.

Lots of people find this the best time to medicate, dust, health check their chickens with a head torch etc.

Damn, thanks for the help though. Will post results tomorrow and start round 2 of diagnostics.

Alot of things aren't approved for poultry due to eggs and meat consumption so that kind of makes sense. Dosent mean you can't use it though.
We had a hawk scare a few weeks ago where after she got attacked she acted pretty skittish for a few days but then went back to normal so the vet perscribed equisul sulfadiazine/trimeth for any internal infection or whatever. The weird thing is that when I google the medication all that comes up is horses.

Whether she likes it or not, Id be getting a good look into her mouth! LOL. If her crop isn't hard/squishy/weird, hmmmm, and she's pooping so something is getting thru.. When was the last time she laid an egg? Can you feel down between her legs, is her belly at all swollen? Id try some NutriDrench or Rooster Booster, something with a lot of vitamins.

Shes only got liquid poop these days. She last laid an egg 3 days ago at the vet.

How old is she and where did you get her?
I agree that it sounds like something is blocking her from swallowing and it may be something like canker or possible linked to the neurological issue..... I'm leaning towards Marek's disease. The nerves control muscles and if the nerves in her neck or oesophagus are affected, that will make swallowing difficult, so if you can't find any plaques or lesions in her mouth, that may be the issue along with the difficulty keeping her eye open. You might also find that she has difficulty focusing that eye and her pupils are different sizes.
If you want to try to save her and it isn't canker, tube feeding would be the thing to try. This involves buying a catheter and guiding it down into her crop and then stringing water and then Kaytee Baby Bird food formula directly into her crop through the tube.
If it is canker then I would not advise trying to insert a catheter and treatment with appropriate medication would be the way to go.
I currently have a rooster with Marek's and whilst he is disinterested in regular food he is keen to eat cat food.... the pate type meat stuff that comes in aluminium trays. I cut it up into small pieces and he is taking that, so that might be something else to try along with scrambled egg.

Good luck with her but prepare yourself for the worst and consider euthanizing if she deteriorates further. If she cannot swallow water, sadly she will not last long.

She's I think probably somewhere between 7 and 9 months old I'm pretty sure. I think we got them online from a farm in Ohio? I'll have to look back and see if I can find out for sure.

She doesn't move, her left eye barely opens and she won't even get onto her feet. Her head bobs up and down like shes trying not to fall asleep I don't know what else to do. When we pick up my dog from the vet I think we're going to talk about how much it costs to euthanize a chicken because nothing we do is getting her better and she can't handle any food or liquids.

My hen is unable to close her beak and she keeps craning her neck and reaching upward and then retracting. I don't know if this is usual behavior but I just don't want to give up hope so I'll keep posting new symptoms up until we decide what to do. Listed below is a video of said behavior.

Back
Top Bottom