ranks of chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicky Chick, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Chicky Chick

Chicky Chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    OK I know that roosters will try to take the higher rank from other roosters but will hens do this? If so are they as violent as the roosters?[​IMG]

2. yes, but hens usually arent violent. They just pick at each others feathers mostly

3. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    our hens are the ones that get the most vicious towards newbies... they tried to kill a couple of them on us... the roosters usually take the newbs "under their wing", looking out for them till they can fit in to the pecking order on their own...

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My hens are way more vicious than my roos! :lau

My highest rank is a Delaware hen. Followed by a barred rock, RIR, all three of the silkie girls pretty much pick on whoever they feel like, but not each other.. The rest just follow the others. I can`t seem to determine who else outranks who.. I just know my lowest two are cochins...

5. Well our roos nearly killed each other, so Im sticking with hens arent too vicious

6. aoxa

Hens can easily kill each other as well.

7. yes i know, but i havent ever seen it

8. aoxa

Add a new hen ;) I just watched one of my girls try to cock fight my youngest cockerel (8 weeks). He ran away while she kept attacking him. He's okay now, but none of the roosters even pecked him once. If you have roosters that fight, get rid of them. Unless they don't have enough girls to take care of (at least 10 hens each), they will fight over them. My roosters never fight. They keep the peace. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by