Ol'FashionHen

Songster
11 Years
Oct 24, 2008
The South
I hope I have posted this in the right place. (sorry it's kinda long
roll.png
)
I gave my grandpa my broodie hen sophie for his 73 birthday. He asked if I would let her hatch some chicks and then bring her and the chicks. I said sure. He asked if he could purchase three more hens from me. I really did not want to, but it's my pappaw and he takes great care of his horses and dogs, so I assumed he would extend the same care for my chickens. He said to take the hens to his friends home because he was going to take care of the chickens until my grandpa built his coop. My grandpa reassured me that they would be well taken care of because he knows I care alot about my animals. So I take them there and the coop is a little small but he will be allowing them to free range all day (I made sure that they would still be allowed to free range before I agreed to sell them to grandpa), he used hay instead of pine shavings, no big deal. I gave his friend a chickens treats chart (thanks to Buff Hooligan for the info.), some DE, and ACV. I told him the benefits of using both for the chickens. He seemed to be interested in using them and why. I dropped off Sophie and the chicks yesturday and I was so disappointed my hens look TERRIBLE, no bright red combs and wattles, no full fluffy feathers, their water tray was lined with green slime
somad.gif
, and PLENTY of corn in the feed. The friends wife came out and I aked if they were still laying and with a smurk on her face she replied "No"!
th.gif
my poor, poor hens I did not want to leave sophie and the babies, but I had given them as a gift so I felt it was only right. I asked the wife what he had been feeding them and she said laying mash and corn. OK I'm thinking laying mash is fine, the amount of corn, not fine. Now mind you I gave my Pappaw my most beautiful chicken Nina (golden lace wyandotte) because I love my papaw and wanted him to have her, her feathers were so beautiful and shiny, her black detail was so dark
love.gif
. Everyone would say she was my prettiest chicken. And now she look so dull and NO WHERE near as full and bushy.

I called my pappaw today, and told him I was disapointed with how the hens look. He said he has had chickens most of his life and they always look bad in the fall because they molt. I told him I know they molt and I know they look bad when they molt. I also told him that those girls are right at a year old and most likely would not molt till next year and that the other chickens that I have that are the same exact age and they are NOT molting and look no were near the shape his chicken are in. I also commented that they are NOT laying anymore, he said I know they were laying good at first
ep.gif
... well duh! I told him when I dropped off the hens that I have only fed them Purina laying feed, and that in MY experience it is the best feed, and to only give them scratch as a daily treat
rant.gif
and always have FRESH water!!! So grandpa says he will get Purina Layena for now on. NOw I want to so bad .. bad ... badly to go and get back all my chickens ( even Ms. broodie pants, no matter what, relentless Sophie) and bring them back home. I know I can not, and I am not for sure if I stopped by with a boat load of info. and explained it to them how to care for them if they would even take into consideration what I have to say. Do you think it would be worth my effort??
hit.gif

They look just terrible and the roo they have is HUGE and to big to be mounting those girls.

can you kind of sneak over there and steal them back? maybe throw a few feathers around to make it look like something else got them?

Ol'FashionHen :

Quote:
I though about that
hide.gif
... the fella hunts with my grandpa, so I assume he has plenty of guns
barnie.gif

i would totally do that! just get them and get some feathers, toss them around the coop..maybe knock a hole in the side of it to look authentic and then offer to help them repair the damage later!
problem solved
smile.png

Quote:
ditto. be careful who you give them to. And he is your grandfather, I say, be gracious and walk away. He won't be here forever.

Darn! Tough situation!
sad.png
I say go and talk to your pawpaw...He'll want to make his DGD happy, i'm sure.
big_smile.png

I would be honest with your Grandpa and ask him if until he gets his coop built if you could have them back. Explain that you want to make sure they are well taken care of and that if they are not with him they should be with you.

wasn't those people just holding them for him until he got his pen built? Are they chicken smart? Tell them you have done some chicky research and they needs meds. You will treat them and when papaw wants them down the road you will get them back to him!!!! Or give him replacments for the SICK birds....Get creative, Go save them chicky's
hide.gif

Quote:
I agree totaly with Rusty..... you gave them to your grandfather to care for.. not to be left with his friend.... explain that and offer to have them back until gtrandpa is in a better postion to acre for them.. at the end of the day, it is the welfare of the hens that is upper most ............ obviously ther are not being cared for appropriately...

Back
Top Bottom