Rant: DBF posted meatie pic on FB, now there are haters

Quote:
Watching Food Inc changed my life. Its amazing how much you can learn from just asking a few questions and being open to the answers. I love meat and knew I could never give it up. Not an option for our family. But now, I am aware. And its powerful.

My husband and I had a similar experience. After the movie, we shut off the TV and turned to eachother to have a serious conversation about what we can do. At this point in our lives we can not affort to eat 100% organic or 100% local, but maybe one day. We decided the biggest step (in addition to other things) was to raise our own meat birds. Proud to say we have 50 Freedom Rangers in our back yard, growing fat as we speak
big_smile.png

We are not freaks, screaming from atop our soap boxes about organics to anyone who passes buy. We have the quiet power of knowledge and the strong desire to do what is within our means to reconnect with our food.

For anyone who complains about processing cornish cross chickens, I would point out to them that these birds will suffer and die anyway if not humanely butchered at 6 - 8 weeks. Their legs buckle and their hearts fail.

If they must be "euthanized" to prevent their suffering, what is the harm in eating them afterward? That is wasteful.

Quote:
I must disagree on the myth and misconception that vegetarians are vitamin deficient.
smile.png
We are not. I mean, I am sure some are if they just eat candy or something but the vast majority of vegetarians ingest plenty of the vitamins needed for vibrant health. The vitamins and minerals obtained from eating meat are not magically a part of the meat - they are there because the herbivore ate plants that sustained them. Vegetarians cut out the middle man, so to speak.

Please educate yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism

Sorry
to get off topic, but I just really hate to see this myth spread around any more than it already is.

Getting back on topic, while I do not eat meat I really appreciate the fact that people do raise their own. My problem with meat is the factory farmed nature and cruelty involved in the production of chicken, beef, pork, etc. and not with the actual eating of it. If a chicken can have a good life and be happy and then become a good meal - that is what I would be most pleased to see. The same for pigs and goats and cows and so on. I applaud those who are connected to their food and raise it themselves. That is not disgusting; the fact that people can go to the store and buy a chicken from a factory farm and not give a care in the world about that animals' sufferring IS.

People don't know where their food in general comes from. A few years ago my allergist told me that I tested positive for a wheat allergy. MULTIPLE people said to me (not kidding) "well, at least you can still have white bread."
hmm.png
idunno.gif

I knew about factory farming, but I did not understand how much of our food comes that way or how devastating it is on the environment. We are no longer buying pork that we cannot find local and humanely raised because of their level of intelligence and awareness. Unfortunately, due to our income, we do still purchase chicken from the store. We cannot raise meat birds where we live. If we had land, I would definitely consider it. I also have some food issues. LOL, if I have trouble with the texture of something, I tend to get sick. I only eat boneless skinless chicken breast. But, my family will eat the other parts, so we could do this.

Food Inc. changed my attitude towards food also. Before I didn't care and didn't want to know where anything came from, I just wanted it on my plate.

But I think the biggest attitude changer came when I processed my first birds last fall. They were Light Brown Leghorns that I raised from chicks. I've always lived way out in the country all my life but never took to the farming and hunting way of life. Up until that point in my life I had never killed or cleaned anything. So this was a whole new and moving experience to me.

I see people on here a lot saying they wished they could do meat birds but they don't know if they could kill them and gut. I strongly encourage all those that are hesitant to give it a try. In my opinion it is the most humbling experience you will ever have and before you're finished you will already be planning your next batch because you will gain a whole new appreciation for the food on your plate and will refuse to buy anything out of the grocery store from that point forward.

I will post the pic. that DBF took down from Facechook (That's what I'm going to start calling it), so this thread can be more complete.
EDIT (picture in question):
26963_chicken_processing_day_may_2011_016.jpg

EDIT: Okay, I admit, I do see how this picture could be a little unsettling to some. As a culture, I don't think we are used to seeing the feet still attached to our food. DBF didn't mean to provoke anyone, but we are proud of what we did and wanted to share. It's fun finding boundaries on Facechook!
smile.png

I will start another thread with some pics and our account of the processing experience from a complete newbie perspective.

I got a breast out of the freezer last night and made chicken 'n' dumplin's. While I was cutting that piece of meat, I had to remind myself: Wow! This is my chicken that I raised from a day old chick! It was hard to remember, because in my past, I have bought SO many skinless breasts in styrofoam trays....

Granted, I won't be able to do this all year....in fact it was very humbling to raise these first 7 Cornish X and realize how much resources it took (land, time, good weather, food $, and care). But I probably will be choosing other options when eating out....i.e. pork, veggie, seafood, etc.

It still haven't seen Food Inc., but glad it is inspiring so many. I'm afraid to see any film images of animals in CAFO's - I'm way too sensitive. A long time ago, my friend did some truck-driving for the summer. She was behind a chicken truck one night and was haunted by the all those terrified little eyes.....and vowed to never eat chicken again.....that's enough for me.....

Last edited:
Here in New Zealand there was a conversation on the radio about telling kids where their meat comes from, its a good idea that people are aware of where it comes from as some practices are very cruel from rearing the animal to it ending up neatly packed in the shop. We only buy meat that has been free range farmed and i guess i have to take their word for it that its "cruelty free meat" i have just found some recipes for duck sausages that i cant wait to make. My ducks have a good life here and also have a quick pain free death when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom