Rapid breathing after eating, one leg suddenly paralyzed, and very watery and smelly poop

denz88

Songster
6 Years
Jan 4, 2015
Hi BYC, we have a hen who's about 6 years old who's been sick for over two weeks now. I'm hoping someone has some insights as there seems to be several issues going on at once.

In particular, I'd like to know:
1) Whether to start another round of antibiotics / other medication
2) Whether the diet needs changes
3) What I could do about the leg paralysis
4) What I could do about the rapid breathing
5) Suggestions on where else I could look / read up on

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, suggestions, and ideas!

To summarize the long writeup below:
  • Leg paralysis => Treated for botulism with an epsom salt flush (day 1)
  • Ascites / yolk in stool / squatting pose => five-day round of enrofloxacin (baytril) (started day 5)
  • Potential egg binding => epsom salt baths (numerous)
  • Leg paralysis / general weakness => Treated for potential vitamin deficiency with nutri-drench and Rooster Booster, which contains B12 (almost daily)
  • Foul smelling watery stool => Treated with apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of olive oil (administered this morning)**
  • Rapid breathing is still ongoing and happens most noticeably after eating / drinking. It also seems to go away immediately with each epsom salt soak. I'm not sure what's causing this, but was hoping that treating other symptoms might alleviate this one
  • Leg is still paralyzed, other working leg seems to be weakening
She's quite alert now and reacts happily to pets and scratches so I'd say her condition is stable. We've kept her isolated and homed since her leg became paralyzed a couple of weeks ago. No other chickens in the flock exhibit any similar symptoms, thankfully.

** Just now as I was writing she let out a large poop, dark green in color, mostly solid, and with a tiny bit of yolk. The smell isn't quite as foul as the discharge from last night, but it's still packs a punch. I'll see if I can get her to eat some solids again. I've attached an image below for reference.

Symptoms

The most alarming symptom so far is the rapid breathing. After feeding / drinking, my hen begins to breathe rapidly (15-25 times per ten seconds), sometimes for hours or until she falls asleep.

Her right leg became paralyzed overnight and has remained immobile since. One day she was running around, the next she was flat on her belly in the coop. She doesn't seem to react to touch nor is she able to move it. There doesn't seem to be any injury (no cuts or bruises, no swelling along joints, etc.).

In addition to the issues above, she seemed to have ascites and some yolk in her stool. As a precaution for internal laying / EYP, I placed her on a 5-day course of enrofloxacin (baytril) about 5 days after I first noticed some egg-binding symptoms.

Presently, she is not on any medication although we've been mixing some nutri-drench into her water.

While her appetite seemed to recover a bit, presently it's gone again and she'll only peck at her food / take a couple of small bites. Her diet has mostly consisted of yogurt (diluted in water and drip fed when she will not eat solids), a bite or two of cooked egg, and a tiny nibble of whatever else she takes a fancy to. This has included sliced wheat bread and peaches. She doesn't drink on her own either and we've been drip feeding water.

The stool she passes has been very watery and green on account of her very poor appetite. There were a couple of days at the end of her antibiotic course where she did eat and she passed more solid and brown stool. Unfortunately, I get water squirting out with green bits again. Recently, this watery discharge smells incredibly foul. I've attempted to treat this with apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of olive oil.

** Just now as I was writing she let out a large poop, dark green in color, mostly solid, and with a tiny bit of yolk.

Timeline / Treatment

About two weekends ago, I noticed that my hen was walking a bit funny, legs apart and waddling somewhat. I suspected that she might be egg bound and began treating her for that with a nice epsom salt bath. I also felt around for an egg (and have continued to do so every few days), but to this day there's no egg.

The next day (day 2), the funny walk seemed to subside and she seemed to perk up a bit. Due to the heat, it was difficult to tell that she was exhibiting a symptom of rapid breathing, as it appeared as if she was just overheated and panting.

On day 3, we found her in the coop immobilized with one leg paralyzed. She appeared extremely frail and I again began treating for both egg binding on the rationale that perhaps a bound egg might press on her sciatic nerve. I did not feel an egg, however. Because she was no longer walking, could not check to see if she was still waddling or had the distinct "squatting" posture.

Having never dealt with sudden onset paralysis, I was somewhat panicked and began treating for botulism in the event that she picked up something while ranging. This I did by feeding her epsom salt diluted in water to flush her system. I later attempted to treat for potential vitamin deficiency using nutri-drench and Rooster Booster.

At present, it doesn't seem like she's regained any control of her paralyzed leg.

Through all of this, she exhibited rapid breathing at an alarming rate. She also couldn't keep her head up or her eyes open. It seemed more and more likely that she was suffering from something dire. Again, botulism was at top of mind, but having flushed her system once I didn't want to stress her any further.

Right now, she breathes rapidly after eating or drinking. Breathing returns to a normal pace when she falls asleep or when I put her in an epsom salt soak. There's no rattling / wheezing when she breathes, although earlier there'd be a "click" sound on each exhalation (this clicking sound has since gone away).

By day 5, she seemed to stabilize a bit and became more alert. It's also at this time that I began paying more attention to the yolks in her stool, which reminded me of a hen who had succumbed to EYP in the past. I had also noticed her belly beneath her vent swelling and feeling very much like ascites. At this point, I began treating with enrofloxacin (baytril) for five days, twice daily. Based on her weight at the time (4lbs), I gave her about 0.2ml per dosing. She's lost weight since and is down to about 3.2lbs.

Towards the end of her antibiotic course, she perked up substantially and began to regain some appetite. Last weekend, we started crushing her layer pellets and mixing the crushed pellet in with her yogurt. She devoured it (days 9-12). But her appetite has dwindled since.

Her stool remains mostly free of yolk now although I still see a few strands on occasion. And as I mentioned above, her stool is beginning to smell pretty foul. Her belly seems to be less swollen now, although I can't really say for sure if she's reabsorbing.

To help her sleep better, I'm avoiding feeding her before bedtime (so as not to have her breathing rate rocket up).

Attachments

• Selection_220.jpg
    Selection_220.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
After reading all of your description, I think that the heavy breathing is due to the ascites. And every time she eats or drinks the volume of the intakes adds to the compression on her lungs and airsacs.

1) Whether to start another round of antibiotics / other medication

I would not do so. You have already administered antibiotics and from what I gather it did not seem to help.

2) Whether the diet needs changes

You could make some scrambled egg with oatmeal, millet and a bit of brewers yeast. Maybe she will regain a bit of appetite after the drainage.

3) What I could do about the leg paralysis

The leg paralysis might be caused by the accumulated fluid in the abdomen or by a tumor which is quite common in older hens.

You could have the abdominal fluid drained by a vet which might relieve the pressure on the sciatic nerve.

4) What I could do about the rapid breathing

You could have the abdominal fluid drained by a vet which might relieve the pressure on the lung and airsacs.

5) Suggestion on where else I could look / read up on

The suggestion I have is to rather have her abdominal fluids drained which will only help for a few days, or have her euthanised because there is no way to cure this and she will not recover.

Thanks @LaFleche. I also had a lurking suspicion that it was the ascites, but I'm holding out hope that it's manageable.

I've encountered ascites before in other hens, but never such high breathing rate accompanying it. And it doesn't take much for her to pant, just a few ml of water dripped through her beak will do it. Last I checked, her belly is round, but the skin on it isn't fully distended as I've seen it in more severe instances of ascites.

Also, an epsom salt soak seems to relieve her of the rapid breathing symptom immediately. That relief lasts even hours after the soak or until the next feeding. This is the only thing that makes me question whether ascites is the root cause or if there's not something else going on. After all, shouldn't the pressure from ascites apply in all instances? Perhaps I'm being a bit too hopeful.

I'll continue to monitor her closely.

Ascites is just a symptom of some other underlying issue(s) as there are peritonitis, cancer, problems of the reproductive system or heart disease.

Although you might relieve some of the pressure by having it drained etc. the underlying problem causing this condition will not disappear.

Sadly, there is not much one can do other than keep her comfortable and watch out so not to miss the point when euthanasia will be the right thing to prevent her from further suffering.

An update for anyone else who comes across similar symptoms-

The hen in the original post is still with us and doing very well! Her one foot is still paralyzed, but she seems to have adapted. She can run short distances and jump onto a 3ft high platform in the coop. She also no longer has any symptoms of EYP or ascites and her breathing is back to normal.

Symptoms of EYP took a few weeks after the 5-day course of enrofloxacin to fully disappear. We also fed crushed Tums every so often to boost calcium and continued the epsom salt baths. At one point, she stopped touching food that she traditionally enjoyed (this includes any kind of feed we had, eggs, rice, etc.) so we experimented with other foods and pushed anything she took a liking to (through this, we discovered that she LOVES peaches).

Her stool was the first sign of improvement. It started to solidify and resemble normal stool. Eventually, she laid her first fully formed egg followed by another one roughly a week later. Another promising sign! Since then, her ascites has also gone away, the fluids draining on their own. We did not have to perform any drains ourselves with a syringe.

In spite of taking care of the EYP / ascities issue, the rapid breathing continued to persist and in fact, seemed to worsen. After doing a bit of research, I figured this hen might have aspergillosis, which comes up often when searching for "rapid breathing hen." We managed to get our hands on a vial of itraconazole to administer orally and following instructions here, started the first dose mid-September.

There were some side effects (significant feather loss, discolored skin, lethargy), which made us hesitate continuing the course. We decided to continue with careful monitoring seeing as there were no other options. About a month after the first dose, the rapid open mouth breathing started to subside. Eventually, it would only occur after movement or stress. By mid-October, there seemed to be no hint of rapid or open mouth breathing at all.

I'm still not sure what exactly caused the cascade of sudden symptoms originally. Although she's lost the use of one leg, she seems happy and healthy.

A few pictures:

1608069585500.png

August 4 - Second egg after enrofloxacin course- slightly misshaped and rough texture shell

1608069665956.png

August 3- still gasping for breath

1608069861115.png

November 3 - Jumping onto a leaf compost unaided with no signs of open mouth breathing

Last edited:
We have our 8 month old Plymouth Rock hen who (on our first hot day) was suddenly limping, then mouth breathing, then pooping extremely watery and extremely odorous stools. We immediately separated her, (she was still laying eggs) She also, preens excessively when I take her out of her dog cage. I checked and don't see any visible mites/lice. We treated her with diluted dropper mix of watered down Vet RX the first day (also rubbing it under wings etc. careful of eyes), along with a water mixture of Hydro-hen Electrolyte powder, Oregano Oil, a bit of dried herbs, and more Vet RX in the water. She had a bald spot on her head that looked like she was pecked at or our Rooster was aggressive with mounting, so we rubbed Manna Pro Hen Healer on her Head and her Leg as well. We also gave her some dried lavender/flower natural chicken herbs to calm her. It's been two days and she has made some improvement; putting some weight on her leg, only mouth breathing when stressed or exerted. She's still laying eggs and seems to be progressing but extremely slowly; I dusted her carefully with good grade organic Diatomaceous earth; just in case.

Does anyone have any advice on what the illness is; giving her anything else; how long should I keep her away (until she is walking completely on leg (she's standing on it but limping a little when I take her out for a little bit on it) from other chickens & my rooster? How do I best introduce her back into the flock?

Sorry this was so long. Thank you so much everyone.

Back
Top Bottom