Rapidly declining flock

StacyAnt

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2016
Long Island, New York
We had 9 hens, all around 2.5 years old. We've had three die within a month of each other. The first one was visibly ill/off when I first noticed. She was hunched over, ruffled feathers, floppy comb, sour crop, greenish/white poop covered bottom feathers, and VERY swollen abdomen. After looking here, I came to the peritonitis conclusion. She died within 4 days of me noticing her being ill. 5-6 days later, her best buddy chicken started showing the exact, same symptoms. After further research, I decided to drain her belly and vomit her (I know it's risky, but...)Tons came up. She also died within 6 days of first noticing symptoms. 7 days after her death another one... exact same cycle. Died within several days. Now, we have 4th one that is acting totally fine, but I noticed a poopy bottom and her belly is full....All that have died are the same, Golden Sex-Links from Atwoods. We also have two EE and one Salmon Faverolle. I did speak with a chicken vet over the phone as a courtesy provided by our local county extension service. He was thinking peritonitis, ascites, or heart failure. But I don't understand how they're dying so close together. I haven't noticed any signs or worms in their poop and gave them wormer just incase. I'm just at a complete loss. These hens are like pets and I've scoured the internet for answers. I have yet been able to locate a local poultry vet here...any idea or suggestions would be greatly welcomed.
I am so sorry for your loses. I just started raising chickens and I lost an EE just the other day. She was sluggish for 3 days then I picked her up with no fuss, she vomited on her own, through some type of fit and died in my arms. It was so sad. I could not do the necropsy. I placed her body under a new shrub I am growing. "Scarlet" was only 3 and 1/2 months old.

3riverschick

Poultry Lit Chaser
10 Years
May 19, 2009
Hi,
So sad losing your birds, sigh
Was it Neon green poop bright neon green? I know that's indicative of something. I think it's liver failure?? it would have to be bright lime-green to bright neon green.
Best Karen

3riverschick

Poultry Lit Chaser
10 Years
May 19, 2009
Are you seeing gasping, gurgling, cyanotic combs and wattles in addition to distended abdomens?
That would be ascites.
Is your coop dusty and/or have cobwebs in it?
Best,
Karen

Top Bottom