Rare Blue Fawn Rouens

Could very well be a saxony cross. If runner X, what color was the runner hen? There may be all sorts of hidden recessive genes, and you will end up with a hodge-Podge of colors and patterns.

Already went over this. Not Runner crosses, they stand exactly like the rest of my purebred Rouens. The one Runner cross duckling was splotched with gold and white. I didn't take it. The Saxony hen died before these were hatched; it is impossible that these are her crosses.

Could very well be a saxony cross. If runner X, what color was the runner hen? There may be all sorts of hidden recessive genes, and you will end up with a hodge-Podge of colors and patterns.

At the very least, I'll know when their ducklings hatch in a few months. But I'm 90% certain they are purebred Rouens. Rouens have variations of Black, Blue Fawn, and Pastel, but are normally Gray (Dave Holderread is the source).

Yes, I know about the variations in Rouens, but you cannot get a blue Rouen from 2 regular grey parents. It is impossible. You can, however, get them from crossing a saxony and a grey Rouen. Could it be that the hen that died left some eggs that were hatched by another duck?

Last edited:
Yes, I know about the variations in Rouens, but you cannot get a blue Rouen from 2 regular grey parents. It is impossible. You can, however, get them from crossing a saxony and a grey Rouen. Could it be that the hen that died left some eggs that were hatched by another duck?

That is another impossibility. I don't know what the lady has for Rouens, but the Saxony hen died 4 weeks before these were even beginning to hatch. And anyway, how did variations even become? I'm sure it's not impossible for a blue fawn to come from two grays if they carry the recessive genes and alleles.

So...

It takes 4 weeks for duck eggs to hatch, so they could have come from this hen if they hatched 4 weeks after she died.

And...no, blue is not a simple recessive gene. It is incompletely dominant, and if either parent has this gene it it would be plain as day. They would look exactly like your ducks do.

So...

It takes 4 weeks for duck eggs to hatch, so they could have come from this hen if they hatched 4 weeks after she died.

And...no, blue is not a simple recessive gene. It is incompletely dominant, and if either parent has this gene it it would be plain as day. They would look exactly like your ducks do.

Well, I didn't see the parents. I saw the duckling pictures and met the lady on my way to a family getaway.
And no, they were laid four weeks after she died. Like I said, a big fat IMPOSSIBLE.

Well, you are obviously going to believe a lady that sold you some hatching eggs in a parking lot rather than taking advantage of the wealth of knowledge that can be found here from long time breeders such as myself that have been breeding rare colored ducks for 15 years. Congratulations on you rare ducks.

Back
Top Bottom