Rare Blue Fawn Rouens

Pics

Welshies

Crowing
May 8, 2016
Alberta, Canada
I have a breeding pair of two blue fawn Rouens, they are not crosses, I just found that out. Does anyone have any experience with Blue Fawns and the faults they have? Going to try and breed some blue fawn Rouens...

I'm not trying to be rude either, but rather trying to educate.

What you are suggesting, Buff Goose Guy, would be SO highly unlikely. It would mean that the mutation would have to occur in one of the sex cells before dividing, the hen or drake with the mutation would have had to donate sex cells (eggs or sperm) from the time before and after the mutation (since not all of the offspring had it), and it would just happen to be the incompletely dominant blue gene mutation, out of the hundreds of thousands of possible genes.

Since the breeder has (or had) both blue runners and saxony ducks which carry the blue gene, I think that is a much more likely option. But I guess anything is possible.

Do you have pictures? If they are truly blue fawn then you should get regular, blue fawn, and pastel rouens from this cross.

Do you know what their parents were or looked like?

The parents were normal gray Rouens. The lady had a Saxony hen, (died before the ducklings hatched, so definitely not hers) and a Runner hen, but they don't stand upright so I don't think they are a cross.
A picture of the male (first picture he was startled, thus the more upright pose) They usually stand about 10-30 degrees above horizontal like a normal Rouen.

They are 11 weeks.

Last edited:
All I see is the duckling down that is grey and being replaced by feathers. The top looks like a Runner cross.

The posted is a runner cross. I do not see the Blue fawn in that duckling.

It is not a Runner! I clearly stated that he is startled. He stands exactly like a normal Rouen and the grey down is being replaced by Blue Fawn feathers and markings, just like a Blue Fawn Call Duck. As ducklings they were coloured exactly like normal Rouens, but gray.

Yes, I know about the variations in Rouens, but you cannot get a blue Rouen from 2 regular grey parents. It is impossible. You can, however, get them from crossing a saxony and a grey Rouen. Could it be that the hen that died left some eggs that were hatched by another duck?

That is another impossibility. I don't know what the lady has for Rouens, but the Saxony hen died 4 weeks before these were even beginning to hatch. And anyway, how did variations even become? I'm sure it's not impossible for a blue fawn to come from two grays if they carry the recessive genes and alleles.

I think there's a little confusion in here that's contributing to not being able to identify the breed for sure. Were these hatched four weeks after the saxony died, or were they laid four weeks after the saxony died? You've said both in this thread. I think clearing that up will help. At any rate they are very pretty and it will be cool to see what kind of offspring they throw.

I also wanted to post this in here for you to compare to. It's another member's runner/rouen cross.

37890_normans_kid_001.jpg

Runner crosses don't always have an upright stance, especially if the breeder's runners didn't have a good stance themselves. This is a runner cross:

He doesn't stand upright.

Can you ask the breeder if they have blue fawn rouens? A spontaneous mutation can happen and is how most colors come about, but it's very rare and twice in the same hatch would be extremely unlikely.

Last edited:
I think there's a little confusion in here that's contributing to not being able to identify the breed for sure. Were these hatched four weeks after the saxony died, or were they laid four weeks after the saxony died? You've said both in this thread. I think clearing that up will help. At any rate they are very pretty and it will be cool to see what kind of offspring they throw.

I also wanted to post this in here for you to compare to. It's another member's runner/rouen cross.

37890_normans_kid_001.jpg

Runner crosses don't always have an upright stance, especially if the breeder's runners didn't have a good stance themselves. This is a runner cross:

He doesn't stand upright.

Can you ask the breeder if they have blue fawn rouens? A spontaneous mutation can happen and is how most colors come about, but it's very rare and twice in the same hatch would be extremely unlikely.

I can ask the breeder. I can ask her more about the Saxony later too.
She had 6 week old ducklings with a Saxony cross, the Saxony hen (may have) brooded those, but she died at least during the hatching period, maybe when they were born. The breeder may have used an incubator, I'm not sure.
As ducklings my "blue fawns" we're grey with black markings like a silver phased Rouen. There were three out of 8-10 Rouen ducklings.
I had a Rouen cross already from her; he stood just as upright as the textbook Runner, but was mallard (grey) coloured. Another Runner cross was fawn and white, very upright too .
She had 1 saxony hen, maybe 1 Runner hen, and the drakes were males.

Back
Top Bottom