1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rare Breed Assortment help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lknmomma, Aug 1, 2013.

1. lknmomma

lknmomma Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2013
    I ordered a rare breed assortment from Meyer and I am only positive about one of them. Help with breed and gender, thanks in advance! Poor little one in the second picture, tail feathers coming in and are bleeding, is this normal?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is the only one that I am positive about, white crested polish. Male or female?

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I think it's a little early to tell your chicks' breeds and genders but you're right about the Polish.

Chick #2, Make sure the other chicks aren't pecking his/her's feathers. Broken feathers can bleed but usually its not from their feathers growing in.

3. farmerRyan

farmerRyan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Central Maine
    A lot of them look like partridge Wyandottes or Cochins. Hope that helped

Ryan

4. suezq223

suezq223 New Egg

Jul 1, 2010
    Second one from the bottom looks like a Delaware as does the one with the bleeding tail feathers. The two under the one with the bleeding tail feathers look a lot like my Double Laced Barnvelder chick. Not sure about any of the others. What was the choices Meyer had in the assortment?

5. lknmomma

lknmomma Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2013
    Thank you everyone. Here is what their rare breed assortment may include: Ancona, Easter Egger, Andalusian, Wyandotte, Dark Cornish, Delaware, Dominique, Jersey Giant, Brahma, Partridge Rock, Light Brown Leghorn, Hamburg, Sussex, German Spitzhauben Appenzeller, Buckeye, Sumatra, Cochin, Polish, Marans, Campine, Lakenvelder, Faverolles, Buttercup, Welsummer, Exchequer Leghorn, Sultan, Penedesenca, Ameraucana, Blue Orpington.
    On #2 the spot where the blood was looked like it had a quill in the center, maybe it broke off. They have been getting pretty flighty. I am hoping the #3 is a buttercup.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    #4 and 5- welsummers or brown leghorns

7. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    #4 has green legs so should be an easter egger.

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    You are right. I didnt even look at the legs. Just say the stripe on the head and strated typing.

9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I just went through this with my own "grab bag" so here's my guesses on the ones that look familiar to me...which are only guesses as so many chicks look alike when young. You'll know more when they feather in.

I agree....#1 looks to me to be an Easter Egger as does #4 due to greenish/slate leg color.

#2 and #7 don't look to me to be Delawares from your photos, yet, as I don't see any smudgy markings or black tipping developing, but they are very young still; however Delawares should get black tipping on their wings and some on the tails as they grow and specks of black around the neck. Males will get more blacking while the females much less blacking. If they don't get that blacking/smudging they aren't Delawares (or true Delawares).

I don't think #5 is a Welsummer because of the white spots in the feathers and the pinkish/tan leg color. Welsummers do not have white spots in their developing feathers and should have yellow legs. It may be a Speckled Sussex which follows the white dots developing and pink/tan legs. However, there is a pretty strong patterning coming through which could suggest something else, perhaps another Easter Egger or as another poster suggested Barnvelder (which I'm not familiar with as a chick).

For me, a very strong chipmonk pattern that has a crisp head stripe is usually either a Welsummer, Speckled Sussex, Brown Leghorn, or Easter Egger. Other breeds have chipmonking, but more gentle and smudgy looking and cover more of the head.

Here's a good site to look at different baby chick photos for breed determination.
    https://www.esteshatchery.com/baby-chick-pictures.html

HTH
    Lady of McCamley

10. bluegrasslady

bluegrasslady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Auburn ky
    Partridge rocks also have pretty "crisp" chipmunk markings. That third one from the bottom could be one as well as one of the breeds mentioned above.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by