Rare breeds??

ktg 100

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 3, 2013
I was thinking about purchasing a breeding flock of a rare breed of chicken.
(well I think ill just get hatching eggs as I have some broody hens.)
I'd like to get into rare breeds as I love the fact of helping the breed come back and not be lost.
I was hoping that someone could advise me on what breed to get.
Thanks
smile.png

I was thinking about purchasing a breeding flock of a rare breed of chicken.
(well I think ill just get hatching eggs as I have some broody hens.)
I'd like to get into rare breeds as I love the fact of helping the breed come back and not be lost.
I was hoping that someone could advise me on what breed to get.
Thanks
smile.png
What rare breeds benefit from is qualified and committed breeders. That commitment requires a long term deep seeded interest.

That means pick the breed that interests you the most, learn that breed, and learn to breed it with an eye for improvement. It is a long term commitment, but can be a fulfilling one.

Decide on the one that YOU are interested in, get them, and enjoy them. Time will tell if they interest you enough to make a long term commitment.

You are miles ahead if you can find a breeder that has a verifiable track record with the breed. I do not mean having propagated them for a couple years.

Do not get too caught up in how rare they might be. That is not enough to sustain interest over the long haul. Go with what you like.

If everyone took this approach, the breeds would be better for it. A variety of people with a variety of interests supports a variety of breeds.

Ive been looking at the sulmtaler and bielefelder. They are both a rare breed from my understanding. Greefire farms has them and a few others you might like to look at including one solid black one (cant remember the name) that was cool.

Back
Top Bottom