Rare Central & South American (& South Pacific) Breeds

Hmm... I do not think I'll be throwing them into a lake! So I'll just have to wait and see
pop.gif

YasHar,

Here are some pictures of my Collonca chicks I ordered from you that got lost in the mail. What wonderful little guys. They are so friendly and like to snuggle. I will be getting more in the fall. How old are they when they start to lay?
Thank you again
Rita

Just thought I would take a minute and share. Bandit and Lavender are now 6.5 weeks old. I just took pics of them this afternoon....

This is Lavender. I love her crest. She is so inquisitive! Not in a "Trouble is my middle name" sort of way. Just a "whats going on" sort of way, though I suppose that could change. She is Houdina's offspring after all. The next pic is of her feet. They started out all yellow, but seem to be changing as she matures.

This is Bandit. He is so beautiful. His comb and muffs have just started to come into their own in the last week or so. It was like he had little or no comb last week, and wa-la, this week much more Roosterly! The next pic shows his muffs, which also suddenly became very apparent.

And finally, another of Houdina's offspring, as near as we can figure(who else's could it be?). This is Libra, "she" is 19 days old. She is very definitely half Silkie and most likely half Houdina. So we know who will be paying the child support in this case!

I knew she wasnt a true Silkie because her first feathers were smooth. Like this...

Libra was about 9 days old in the above pic. Something has started to happen though now that she is a bit older....

Sorry the focus isnt so good on this one. Libra has started to have some wonky feathers. They dont appear silkied like the Silkie's feathers, but they definitely dont appear to want to lay down and be smooth! It will be interesting to see what she grows out like!

~Yashar,

I think I would like to get some of your eggs. From what I have been able to glean from above and from some of the things Resolution has been kind enough to put in different threads, I think it is a toss up between the Huastec, BQ and SQ. I live where it is cold and wet 7-9 months out of the year. Lots of green! Does get into the teens once in a while and usually only for a few days, if at all. Our highs are mostly in the 80s, some 90s and a few days over 100(some years) in the summer(when the sun does finally decide to shine!). I like friendly birds and birds with personality. They will be hand raised. Any suggestions? Pros/Cons? A place to start with the Houdina offspring I already have? Feel free to PM me if you would rather. Thanks!

KalikoFarms,

Did the live chicks get lost in the mail, or the eggs they came from? They are cute little ones, especially that little yellow butted one! Always one for oddballs and those that arent quite like the rest.... Hope you will share more pics as they grow out.

Yashar--or anyone else with Huastecs--How do they do in the heat of summer? I would love to have some eventually, but I live in Texas which of course is summer for three seasons with 100+ temps for potentially 2 months straight...

Along BonneTerreChick's posts....I have the other 19 day old "not pure silky" from our second hatch. Here is a picture of Houdini...named her after her mother because she popped out of her cage 3 times and made a bee-line for me! She is a love.

please tell me Houdini is a hen...will break my heart otherwise!

Back
Top Bottom