Rare Central & South American (& South Pacific) Breeds

And the Sweet Potato Quechua, although one is missing because he needs a little improvement on cooperating!

They are all beautiful! I especially love the Huastec. I have a pullet that is a cross and she is similiar to your Huastec girl in shape/form and crest. So their silhouette is very similiar. The coloring and comb are not. You have some beautiful birds! I think I am jealous....perhaps I will have to order some Huastec eggs from Yashar in the spring if he has them.
So how old are they now? Do you know at what age these chickens mature?

I sure would like to get hatching eggs or even live Colloncas. I currently have two that are 10 weeks old. When you are ready to sell again please let me know. My email address is [email protected]. My name is Kevin. And thanks!! Beautiful pictures of some beautiful birds

Hi, I am interested in Collonca eggs, will you be offering more in the future? Perhaps this spring?

thanks, rosevirgine

These are great chickens and have done really well for us free ranging. We are now getting eggs and are hatching chicks. We did not get the Ponape or the Koro Sea, but I am considering it for this year. I would really appreciate it if you could provide more information on the Koro Sea!

Last year, the Black Quechua Olmec did not hatch well, but I think I know why. I think the eggs have much more resistance to loosing moisture and the air cells did not grow large enough. With different breeds in the incubator, each one seemed to need a different humidity and it just wasn't low enough especially for the Black Quechua Olmec. This also seems to be an issue with some Colloncas eggs that I am incubating now. The incubator is completely dry with 20% humidity and the air cells are only now at 2 weeks getting to what size they should be at 1 week.
Did anyone else find that they had to incubate quite dry?

You recommended hatching the Black Quechua Olmec under a broody hen. Are there other factors beside humidity that may be better under a broody hen?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom