Rare chicken ID

I haven't read through the entire thread, but these chickens are in Aus, right? We don't have as wide a variety of breeds as other places so if it doesn't match a breed we have than it's likely a cross. Any breed rare enough that's barely talked about here I highly doubt would end up in the hands of a rescue.
Some bantam breeds I can remember are Sebrights, Japanese bantams, Modern game, Dutch Bantam and OEGBs. They're not any of the first four breeds. I don't know enough about Dutch bantams and OEGBs to say, but I think you've been given some good replies.
I don't think Australia is lacking in the mix breed department, but let's see what @Somewhere_In_The_Clouds has to say
I doubt we're lacking either. It's entirely possible you don't see many crossbreeds advertised because people are more interested in purebreds and mixes are likely sold more by word of mouth.
I've got two mixed hens, one from a friend and one I bred. I have one mixed cockerel and a heap more due to hatch 😅. I've also got a few "purebreds" who I suspect of having been crossed at some point.
I've even bought mixed breed hatching eggs from a rare breed breeder :confused:

I haven't read through the entire thread, but these chickens are in Aus, right? We don't have as wide a variety of breeds as other places so if it doesn't match a breed we have than it's likely a cross. Any breed rare enough that's barely talked about here I highly doubt would end up in the hands of a rescue.
Some bantam breeds I can remember are Sebrights, Japanese bantams, Modern game, Dutch Bantam and OEGBs. They're not any of the first four breeds. I don't know enough about Dutch bantams and OEGBs to say, but I think you've been given some good replies.

I doubt we're lacking either. It's entirely possible you don't see many crossbreeds advertised because people are more interested in purebreds and mixes are likely sold more by word of mouth.
I've got two mixed hens, one from a friend and one I bred. I have one mixed cockerel and a heap more due to hatch 😅. I've also got a few "purebreds" who I suspect of having been crossed at some point.

These chickens are in the US, but OP said as a general statement that there aren't any mixes in Aus. And I get that. We don't have many rare breeds either (we have a BUNCH of mixes), but we're getting better at it

These chickens are from the USA, as @fluffycrow said. We're still trying the real mixed breed between what and what.

These chickens are from the USA, as @fluffycrow said. We're still trying the real mixed breed between what and what.

We can't really figure out what they're mixed with. Unfortunately unless we can get some more info about them (like for example a description of either parent) this may very well be a case where the closer you'll get to an answer is "mix breed"

We can't really figure out what they're mixed with. Unfortunately unless we can get some more info about them (like for example a description of either parent) this may very well be a case where the closer you'll get to an answer is "mix breed"
She was my only bantam back cross. I currently have 7 crosses that include bantam, & non bantams.
Update: The sanctuary has sent me a photo of an adult BitBit. This is what she looks like:

Attachments

• 384532574_1483938342455950_3150052766755140046_n.jpg
    384532574_1483938342455950_3150052766755140046_n.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom